Rear Visibility?

How To Get Started

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:10 pm
Greetings all- new SRF3 racer based in Atlanta. I’ve been doing track days for four years and I just got my Comp license at the beginning of this year. I’m coming over from SM where I was running an early 1.6 car in SMSE.

I had my first laps in the SRF this past weekend; test day on Friday and a local summer race series at AMP with the Historics on Saturday. Overall I’m super impressed with the car, I feel like I’m learning it quickly and it’s very fast. The biggest challenge I had was seeing what’s behind me. I’m used to having a center mirror in Miatas, and with the side mirrors and high cockpit rear of the SRF I basically couldn’t see anything if it was directly behind me. Are there any easy solutions here or do I just need to adjust to it? It was disconcerting. Thanks in advance, looking forward to chasing you guys at some SCCA races soon.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:50 pm
If you mean directly behind you, forget it. You can see who is to the side of you or coming up on you but not directly behind. You will get used to it.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
75/917/962
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:25 am
Welcome to Spec Racing!

I Agree that's what is directly behind you isn't your first concern. I actually angle my mirrors out so that I can see who is next to me as I feel that is more important.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:32 am
I know of a gentleman who mounted a rearview camera display just above his dash.

I place my mirrors so that the dominant view is to the sides so that I see passing attempts as well as to see when I'm clear of a car that I'm passing. Depending on the track, I might angle one of the mirrors to see a bit more directly behind me to see who's drafting me.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:11 am
Use or don't use the mirror extenders to taste. I set my mirrors where the inside edge just catches the edge of the cowling (air intake). Then I can see cars behind me but still have visibility to cars presenting. I also use a fish eye for a flash of color off my quarter panel, but I'm in a very small group of people who use those. Most hate them.

Return to How To Get Started