Chicken / Egg

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 am
I was replacing a radiator last night and it occurred to me that the two "horns" on the front of the frame that anchor the inboard suspension and radiator are spaced to allow the lower rubber radiator feet to go into the 3/4" holes on the bottom of the Subaru Brat radiator.

So naturally my next thought is: was our suspension geometry driven by the Subaru Brat radiator? Or did they design the frame and then search the world over looking for a radiator with lower anchor holes that matched the spread of the horns?

PS: On advice of a CSR I chose to stick with the Subaru radiator, which seems to be no worse or better than the performance of the new Enterprises radiator. A couple of weeks ago we had half the field running in the 198-205 degree range, with no difference between Enterprises and Subaru radiators. There's nothing wrong with running at that temp range, other than the ECU programming that cuts timing and adds fuel at 200+. That threshold could be moved to 205 to solve the problem; although I suspect there's more revenue in selling radiators. :?

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 am
I'm having trouble finding reasonably priced Brat radiators. Seems like prices doubled since I last bought one last June.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Jisu Kim wrote:I'm having trouble finding reasonably priced Brat radiators. Seems like prices doubled since I last bought one last June.

RockAuto has a second brand, "OSC," that was in the $125 range. I just installed it but haven't tested it.

With the Enterprises radiator coming in at $200, and the "Spectra" Subaru one now over $200, it seems wise to go ahead and upgrade to Enterprises. Assuming the Enterprises radiator holds its price.

Return to General Discussions