Engine pull video?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:06 pm
Ahoy and Happy New Year. I'm pulling my Gen3 motor to get the transmission overhauled and was wondering if there was a video or a script on how to do it.

I'm curious about the coolant hoses because I'm tempted to leave them (and the tank) attached to the engine when I pull it. If at all possible, I'd like to keep the radiator full throughout the process.

But mainly I'm looking for a video or script to walk me through it.

Regards,
Greg

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58 pm
Go the AccelRaceTek.com

Bruce has posted some procedures in his tech section. I have used them as a checklist when pulling my motor.

http://www.accelracetek.com/engine-swap ... es-gen2-3/
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:38 pm
You will have to unclamp the two hoses running to/from the radiator on both sides of the engine, so draining the coolant is required.

It''s possible to pull the engine with the fill tank and associated hoses remaining attached to the motor. We (Ric Heer at CSR Performance and I) generally remove the coolant fill tank bracket, but leave the intake manifold on (being careful not to damage when pulling). It's also easier (necessary?) to remove the alternator. We then pull the whole engine/transmission out together, angled up on the right side , then disassembing the transmission from the motor while it's hoisted in the air. Ric has an attachment on his shop hoist to dial in a left/right angle as needed when you hoist the motor.

To re-install, we reconnect the motor and transmission before putting back in the car, rather than wrestling with the alignment inside the frame, angling the transmission/engine downward on the transmission side until everything is roughly back place in the frame.

In the field, with a different hoist, we've done it more like Bruce's outline.

BTW, while the transmission is out of the car consider replacing the clutch disc, especially if it's not the newer kind (in any event, check the thickness and any cracks in the plate if you'd rather not.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am
To Bob Breton,
Next time you pull a motor with the transmission still attached, please take some pictures and post them here or at least send them to me. I know on the gen2 it was tight enough that there was no way to pull a motor with the trans still attached. I'd like to see how much of an angle you have to get it to to pull it or replace it. I am converting a car in the near future so I would like to see what you go through.
Thanks,
Elliott
gutenberg918 at GEE male
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm
You can pull and install the motor and transmission together. You need to remove the right rear rocker and shock to give you the clearance and the angle you need get them in/out.
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm
I just pulled my engine and transmission last week in one piece without removing the rocker arm...although i did scratch up my new powder coating on the rocker :cry:

here are a few pictures
Attachments
engine pull 2.jpg
engine pull 2.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
Engine Pull.jpg
Engine Pull.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
Joe Frederick
Texas Region
SRF#65 Chassis#294
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:47 pm
here are 2 more pics
Attachments
engine pull 4.jpg
engine pull 4.jpg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
engine pull 3.jpg
engine pull 3.jpg (120.36 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
Joe Frederick
Texas Region
SRF#65 Chassis#294

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 pm
I have done this with and without removing the RR rocker. With the rocker, I did scratch the paint...agg. Removing the RR rocker makes the pull significantly easier.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions