New to SRF

How To Get Started

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 pm
Hello all, new to the forum....
Today I attended (spectator) my first SRF race at Homestead-Miami speedway. For the past few weeks I have been researching and spending time watching footage on youtube of SRF races. I have always wanted to race but never really thought it was possible until I accidentally ran across SRF in a racing magazine.
Luckily, I check what was going on today at the track and I saw that SCCA was in town. So I figured that odds are there will be 1 or 2 SRF cars in the pits. So I took my eldest (9) and youngest (5 and the future Le Man champion) and after a 20 min ride we where at the races. I went around and took many pictures and every SRF owner had a smile on their face and eager to answer any questions I had (I should have prepared for more questions!)
I am sold... so now the next steps... classes, license, and studying, and time behind the wheel of a SRF when time permits.
So its gonna be an interesting year to say the least. A few questions popped up after I left (Again I should have asked when I was there.. well next time) in relation to the fact that there is a new Gen III car coming in 2015. I just started reading on the forms but would like to ask to see how SCCA/SRF will be handling this new car. As stated the car is quicker and faster so is it safe to say that it will not be competing along the Gen II machines.. or will they all be thrown together in the mix come race day? What is to happen to Gen II car and parts supply? Will there be a retrofit kit for the Gen II to be made into a Gen III? Or are we talking Gen II apples to Gen III oranges?
I am planning to purchase a used SRF (renting long term does not add up for me, Short term to get track time with the car does) once I have completed everything I have to do before I go race, but I am wondering if I should just wait till 2015 to buy since I am sure once the Gen III becomes available there will be a quite a few buyers needing to sell their old SRF.
I will most likely have more questions, from what I should do first to which school I should go to, but that comes later... Anyway, I am excited that I found SRF... I am sure we will meet one day at the track!
Robert Blanchard
Miami, Florida

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 pm
Okay, I guess I should have done a bit more reading before I posted! I now see that the Gen III will be a bolt on kit for 1.9 cars... Cool! I originally thought that it was going to be a new type of SRF racer... So that answers that question... now for the next... How will 1.9 and Gen III cars play together? Yeah I know... keep reading the post you will get your answer... Okay back to the forums! P.S. posted some pictures on the Facebook site of my two boys inside a SRF (thanks to Rick) future race car drivers in the making!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:26 pm
And here is my answer to second question...

ABSOLUTELY! And we are ready to confirm that we don't want to risk loosing anyone to other options after that, so after the 2015-2017 two classes, the 1.9L will be welcome to run still within the GEN3 class. Not equalized, but if a group wants to race each other we want them still out there!

So lesson here for any new guys (like myself)... Have a Q? Read the forums odds are its there, then post the question if you can't find it...

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 pm
Robert,

I know that the site has a forum for 'how to get started', but I think having a separate forum is a mistake. Almost nobody ever checks it out. (I will talk with Dave and see if it can be changed).

The Gen2 & Gen3 cars will be on the track simultaneously. And I see in your later posts that you have researched it.

For more questions, just use the general section. People in our class love to have new people come in, and we are quite verbos, oath online and in person.

Ask questions, lots of questions.

And I recommend buying a used Gen2, and then you can upgrade (spend money!) whenever you are ready. Welcome to the class. You are also lucky in that you have three or four tracks within a few hours; Homestead, Palm Beach/Moroso, Sebring, & Daytona.

Rod S
SFR Region
SRF 38

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 pm
Thanks Rod!
Yes I am going to start looking for a used SRF after I have a few runs under my belt... Most likely by end of year... So I already printed the line drawings and started coloring in and I think I have my design! Very 1960's... Now I need a racing suit to boot! Looks like the Sparco M5 for me (I like the classic look) I saw the OMP Le Man suit (very nice but a bit high priced for right now). All I have to do now is wait for my paperwork to run through... Side note, my wife for fathers day got me 3 laps around Homestead in an Indy car (Mario Andretti experience), so really looking forward to that!!!
As for the forum I think just a general thread (note) will do. Explaining the basics with links to the forums, and equipment... i.e. want to get into SRF here are the step you have to take:
1. Become member of SCCA
2. Print out these forums (medical, Novice license) and fill them out and have them signed by your doctor
3. While you wait for forms to be approved read the General rules and regulations
4. Now go get suited up! These are the specs you need to have for your equipment (insert specs here for suit, glove, shoes, helmet, and fireproof under ware.
5. Once you receive your novice license find a school near you (insert school links here) and go have some fun.
6. Go rent an SFR (links to renting what you need etc.
7. Get some time on track with others... ask copious amounts of Q. on how to behave on track!
8. Go racing!
Something like this... I am sure I missed some things but its a start!
SRF here I come!!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm
Hi Robert,

Great to see your enthusiasm for the sport and for SRF! After I saw your list of the steps to take for licensing and school, I thought I would add one item. Many competition schools don't teach you how to drive. Often, you are just taught how to race. The SCCA PDX program, HPDE programs and autocrossing all help to build the skills needed to handle a car at speed.

You didn't say what your experience level was, so I figured I would mention it.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:55 am
kurtbob wrote:Hi Robert,

Great to see your enthusiasm for the sport and for SRF! After I saw your list of the steps to take for licensing and school, I thought I would add one item. Many competition schools don't teach you how to drive. Often, you are just taught how to race. The SCCA PDX program, HPDE programs and autocrossing all help to build the skills needed to handle a car at speed.

You didn't say what your experience level was, so I figured I would mention it.

I've always wondered why SCCA does not require some (even one weekend) of PDX/HPDE/Autocross experience prior to Competition School.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm
Going to do a write up sometime next week to post here with links... hopeful this will help others interested in SRF... as for driving experience... (if you don't include running from the law) karts... but you are right... I am surprised that 'How to drive" classes are not mandatory! You would kind of think it would be a useful thing to learn before you head out on the track!

Return to How To Get Started