Searching in Florida...

How To Get Started

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 am
Greetings all...

I'm interested in getting involved with SRF, and as you might expect, have many questions.

I've been reading threads in this forum and hoping to learn more. A couple key questions I have are:

1. How frequent are SRF races in Florida/SE Region? I clicked through from this forum to a schedule for the SE Region but was unsure if all of those events listed for 2013 are SRF races or other types as well? Would the SE Region be considered a strong region for SRF?

2. So how do I put interest into action? I understand I will need an SCCA license, and that I will need at least 2 schools to do that. Can anyone recommend a school where I will actually get SRF seat time? I completed the Skip Barber 3 day race school back in 98 and ran some lapping days with them, but I know that doesn't count for much now.

3. Is anybody aware of any car owners in my area that I might be able to contact to talk with about the above questions and the many others that come with getting into a new endeavor like this?

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Thanks....Doug Miller

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 am
FLnative78 wrote:Would the SE Region be considered a strong region for SRF?

Yikes!!! They got you surrounded, buddy.

Talk to this guy:
Mick Robinson
Robinson Motor Sports
[SRF & FE/ESR]
365 Stan Dr., Unit 102
Melbourne, FL 32904
Web: www.robinsonmotorsports.com
Phone: (321) 674-5003
Fax: (321) 674-2333
Email: robinsonms@cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 pm
Hal B. wrote:Yikes!!! They got you surrounded, buddy.

Sounds like a good problem to have! I didn't want to start into something only to find their weren't many opportunities during the course of a year.

I'll be giving Robinson Motor Sports a call.

Thanks for the help!

- Doug

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 am
Doug, talk to mick and come to an event. Too bad you could not make it to sebring, i think there were around 60 SRF and close finishes both days
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 am
Go to SCCA.com and look under the Club Racing section:

Upcoming driving schools are listed here: http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content. ... 466&tag=52

You don't necessarily need two schools; out in Northern California we have a one day "ground" school to cover the basics and a three day weekend (this coming weekend) that's basically a "double driving school" to get your novice permit. Once you have a permit you can run Regional races and get your Regional license once you've completed the required number of races successfully under your novice permit.

In addition to scca.com, here's the regional site for your area that discusses driving school; if you have driving school experience (and demonstrate that during the first school) it's possible to get novice sign off in one driving school so be sure to note that on your school entry: http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=439
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 pm
FLnative78... let me know your process (school, license, rental etc) cause I am going to go through the same thing in a couple of months... Already sent in my application and medical... I am in Miami
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 pm
I just received my license and drove the srf for the first time. The scca does a great job and the srf is alot of fun. You will love it. I had someone telling me for years to do it, man i should have jumped in sooner.

Good luck

Ps if your driving the car for the first time at the school i recommend going to the practice day so you are familiar with the car during the school.
Anthony Carbone Jr
SRF#16

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 pm
SEI Motorsports rents SRF cars. We are in Daytona. You can talk with Budd at 386-295-5252. Would be glad to help. Stop by shop check us out.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm
Will do when I get going! Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 am
Thanks for the post!

Return to How To Get Started