Noobie to SRF!

How To Get Started

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:22 pm
Hi All!

Brand new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Bernie and I recently purchased a SRF after being intrigued by them for years. My car is currently set up as a gen2, however the engine and trans are no longer sealed. I believe the PO used it as a track day car. Car is tired and needs some (mostly cosmetic) love, but it's complete. For the time being, I intend to clean it up and use it for vintage racing with our local SOVREN group in the Great Pacific Northwest.

Long-term plans (as skill and budget allow) is to convert to a gen3 and see what happens.

Any advice or banter is always appreciated and I'm sure I'll be asking a million (or two) questions in the coming weeks and months. Thanks!
-Bernie

Spec Racer Ford Chassis 001
Argo JM14 Formula Ford 2000

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:50 am
Bernie, welcome to SRF in the NW.

I recommend you go to SCCA Enterprises website and download Hoosier Tire setup info. A good base for chassis setup.

If the car has AIM dash. Then go to AIM Sports USA and download RS3 software. On You Tube, AIM has 200 videos in which you can learn data. RS3 is so easy to expand you performance.

Munbros.com has a lot of info to review.

Here is a winter project for you:
The other thing you may want to review is this website. Look for those large replies and activity from the past. There must be a reason, sometimes.

We have gained most of our info from time racing an SRF..Time to talk with other drivers. One of the foundations for obtaining input is Where.. When..and Why / (solution)

Flatout racing is your customer service dealer here in the NW. They have most of the parts you will need.

ProDrive, here in Portland holds open practice days as well as Cascade here at PIR. There are the same available at The Ridge for open practice days on Fridays.

Oregon Region has a regional race this weekend and on Friday is an open practice by Pro Drive. If have not entered the race, then you may want to come down and talk with FlatOut and other drivers.

Have fun,
John Barnum
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:31 pm
I'd recommend "mummbrothers.com", as well, for both history and guidance. If you decide to go Club racing, you should be able to get a "sealed" Gen2 engine at a reasonable price. If the transmission is not sealed, but legal, I'd suggest reaching out to your local CSR to get it checked/re-sealed. Flat Out Racing can also help with any parts needed and potential upgrades you may want to put on your "to-do" list. There may be a few other compliance items that need updating for Club Racing (e.g. sealed Penske shocks - Koni's are no longer allowed). While not too many SRF2's still competing, there are still a few running at the Regional level, at least down here in the San Francisco Region.

BTW, do you have the log book(s)? These should provide some history, and necessary for tech/competition at the Club level. If not, should be able to get a new one from Enterprises if you provide the chassis number...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:33 am
I read the GCR for SRF monthly. Any RED text means new rule change. Like Mike at FlatOut says, " Just go drive the car. It is not about setup. It is a very easy car to drive. But it will take time to master fast lap times. " I would recommend you watch SRF racing videos. It will help see how others drive and shift and where. Have Fun

Return to How To Get Started