Central Texas transplant trying to get into SRF

How To Get Started

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:51 pm
Howdy all.

I've been lurking and reading many things on this forum.

It seems that a good intro to SRF is to be a slave one weekend for someone who has a slot open in their crew. I'm willing to do that if anyone needs a hand at the MSR Houston race Dec 5, 6, and 7.

If not, I'll just walk around and talk to as many people as I can that weekend.

My only driving experience is autocrosses. But I did crew for a few circle track guys back in Michigan and Florida when I lived in those places. I'm not Adrian Newey level of car engineering, but I am an engineer and know how to change parts that are broken.

Shoot me a PM if you need a hand that weekend.

Cheers,
Chris

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 am
Welcome to the party! We have a great contingent of SRFers here in TX. We had close to 40 at TWS two weeks ago including about 10 G3s While I won't be at MSR in December to meet you, there will be a decent group as Dave Perkins SRS is located at MSR. Dave is our local CSR and has a beautiful trackside shop with something like 30+ cars in the stable, and he's a great guy and a real asset to our class. (Don't tell him that!) Just go to the SRS building and you'll be injected with the SRF serum and will soon be writing checks and turning wheels.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm
steve kramer wrote:Welcome to the party! We have a great contingent of SRFers here in TX. We had close to 40 at TWS two weeks ago including about 10 G3s While I won't be at MSR in December to meet you, there will be a decent group as Dave Perkins SRS is located at MSR. Dave is our local CSR and has a beautiful trackside shop with something like 30+ cars in the stable, and he's a great guy and a real asset to our class. (Don't tell him that!) Just go to the SRS building and you'll be injected with the SRF serum and will soon be writing checks and turning wheels.

I've heard from a few people about Dave and his ways. I need to give him a call in the next few weeks to talk about getting into a ride here. I plan on taking the course at MSR in first quarter of 2015, where I'll be able to use one of his cars.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Chris

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:41 pm
As far as being a slave in a SRF team - Well when I switched from production racing to SRF two of my crew guys quit after the first weekend because there was "nothing to do ".

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 am
Dog Licked Racing wrote:As far as being a slave in a SRF team - Well when I switched from production racing to SRF two of my crew guys quit after the first weekend because there was "nothing to do ".

Understood. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek because slaves don't typically volunteer for that duty.

The wife and I were talking last night and she said that I should wait a(nother) year before getting into SRF because she wants to autocross now and I'm already involved in crapcan racing for 2015. This makes the urgency smaller to go to the race in Houston now. But if someone were to say "I need help, bad", that would help me convince her that I need to be there.

I need one of those stickers that says "Wife said pick me or the racecar, I'm going to miss her" :D
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:03 pm
Hey Chris, I sent you an email via the site. Let me know if you didn't receive it ... dennystripling at gmail dot com.
Welcome to the group!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:27 pm
Racer X wrote:Hey Chris, I sent you an email via the site. Let me know if you didn't receive it ... dennystripling at gmail dot com.
Welcome to the group!

I thought I replied to that. I did get the note though. I'll send you an email when I get a minute to breathe. Work has been killing me this week.

Thanks for checking.

Cheers,
Chris

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:54 pm
bimmer635csi wrote:I've heard from a few people about Dave and his ways.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Chris

Dave and his ways! Awesome.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:47 am
Ok, so things have moved along since the last post here.

● I went to visit many SRF people at the Texas World Speedway event in January.

● Made a virtual paint job for my car (if I ever get one of my own).

● Completed training course at MSR Houston in a Gen2 and got to run a few laps in a Gen3.

During the training course, one item became apparent that I've struggled to find information on this forum about. Arm restraints.

The GCR says:
Arm restraints shall not be worn in a manner which limits the ability of the driver to provide visible signals to other competitors while on track.

But to do this, your arm has to come out of the cockpit, so doesn't that defeat the purpose of wearing the restraint? Note, I am not against arm restraints. I just want to be sure that, as a rookie, I wear/install them correctly.

Which leads to another question I have. My instructor suggested having D-rings sewn into the arms of my suit. But right as he was showing me how his suit was sewn, I was being put into the Gen3 for a test run, so I didn't get the full story of how to have the rings sewn onto the suit.

Does anyone have pictures/instructions for how to have the D-rings installed on the suit in a fashion that is safe, comfortable, and effective? Also, we were not running with arm restraints during the class, so I'm not exactly sure how they even attach to the car. Any info would be helpful, especially considering that I'm trying for the early May race as my first one. I may post this request elsewhere just to make sure it is seen.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:35 am
Arm restraints are worn two ways: high - on your bicep (less effective) or on your forearm where in my opinion they have a lot better chance of working in a rollover. Many people wear them high to comply with the rules, I've gotten used to wearing them on the forearm, all a matter of what feels ok to you. There are plenty of suppliers that sell separate restraints (Simpson, Sparco, etc.) , i have some really old ones that use velcro for adjustment and they tend to stay in place better than the d-ring type ones. The sew ins sound great but i've never had them, and you'd probably want to determine placement before you order a custom made suit with them installed. See u in May.
Next

Return to How To Get Started