Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:59 pm
hi folks
I am going to do some more prep on my SRF and was going to look at the wheels to see how freely they rotate. They seem like they have a fair amount of drag. For example, the front wheels won't make one full rotation unless I spin them very hard (with front in the air of course :mrgreen: )

I have several items I am going to look at before going back to WGI again in September, and wheel bearings/grease/etc and maybe brake drag was on the list. Any advice on front or back drag issues and/or what I should expect would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm
Well Steve I had this same problem this year and in my case it was two different problems. One was a sticking caliper piston and the other was a bad wheel bearing. This last problem was on a fairly new as in two weekend old bearing. I ended up having a new hub and bearing put on the knuckle at the July Sprints. There could be other reasons in your case.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:24 pm
thanks, the guys at motion dynamics said to take my calipers off and put new slide bushings on it, grease them up nice. I am not sure how much 'drag' there may be, but it seems like the wheels should spin free-er then they do. so I am going to play with it some more....still in my quest to get it up near 116-120mph before the bus-stop. I am topping out at a mere 110 mph :P

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:23 am
Also replace those rubber seals. They aid in pulling the piston back. I had a similar problem and replacing them made a huge difference in the piston retracting
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:34 pm
thanks lee! prep is starting tomorrow :D

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 am
You can narrow the search by taking off the brake pads and then spinning the wheels.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 am
Lee Spuhler wrote:Also replace those rubber seals. They aid in pulling the piston back. I had a similar problem and replacing them made a huge difference in the piston retracting

Lee: Do you mean the boot or the rubber seal on the piston?

PS: Who here runs with the rubber dust boots on the pistons? The boots were not on my brakes when I got the car, and I've done a full rebuild (replacing the "wiper" seal on the piston that resides inside the cylinder). The pistons (steel) had a hard residue near the face of the piston that I was able to clean off, but I assume the boots would reduce or eliminate this residue (which I presume is from brake dust).
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am
that's the first thing I was going to do, take all the brakes off (calipers/etc) and maybe disconnect the cv joints for the rear, and then see how freely they spin and go from there. lots of brake dust everywhere - guess I should use them less :D

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:31 pm
I am referring to the boots. Go to the Midwest store and read the description there. Old boots lose elasticity and will stop pulling the pistons back. I was having brake drag issues and after replacing the boots when I step on the brakes the pistons retract and the wheel spins free
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm
I haven't run the boots in... years. I think they are simply there to a) keep out dust and b) melt on heavy brake usage tracks :).
The piston ring (rubber seal) is what provides the retraction force and should be "rebuilt" from time to time. I consider the boots 100% optional.
Denny

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions