Fuel

Technical and Repair Discussions

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:08 pm
I have read things about newer fuels running leaner for different reasons. It made me wonder. Are people running pump gas, or racing fuel?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm
Generally, we're running a mix of pump gas and track fuel (100 unleaded) to bring the octane up to to a safer level due to the higher levels of alcohol now being blended into the gasoline. Most important thing to stay on top of is the fuel pressure as pump deterioration resulting in inadequate fuel flow can cause engine failures due to excessively lean fuel mixture. Running a fuel pressure meter is the least expensive way to stay on top of the situation; an air/fuel ratio sensor is a more accurate, but expensive, alternative. See threads on this forum (or SCCA Enterprise) on the correct fuel pump test procedure.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 am
I found a service station near which sells non-alcohol unleaded gas. 92 octane. A month ago it was $4.67 a gallon. We ran this gas straight and for one race we ran it plus added 2 gallons 100 race gas for a mix. I think the gas is for marine outboard motors just not sure.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 am
At the COTA race I was using 93 unleaded from a Shell station about 30 miles from Austin - I assume it had ethanol. The car ran fine on the test day and friday practice. On the last 2 laps of Saturdays race the car stumbled bad at the slow left hand hairpins about 4 times - I had 1.25 gallons left after the race and very good fuel pressure so it wasn't starving.

I then mixed 100 octane race gas 40% with local gas (don't know where my brother got it). In Sunday's race about 2/3 through the car stumbled once for a few seconds again in a slow hairpin.

I have never had vapor lock before so I assume it was due to the local winter blend fuel.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:03 pm
A good source for non alcohol fuel is your local hot rod association. Do a Google for your local chapter. They often have a list of gas stations around town that sell non-oxygenated fuels for their old V8. I have been using non-oxygenated fuel for the last 13 years and have not replaced a fuel cell yet. That being said it might be time to replace the fuel cell after 13 years as a precaution :!: :?:
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/TurbotomRacing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 am
Martinracing98 wrote:I have read things about newer fuels running leaner for different reasons. It made me wonder. Are people running pump gas, or racing fuel?

Hey Todd, we were told to run ethanol free premium unleaded in the SRF. There is suppose to be a station North of I-270 on Route 3 in Hartford near the Lewis & Clark memorial that sells this. I plan to search it out next week to fill up my fuel jugs.
Tom Muffler
Armed Forces Motorsports LLC
http://www.armedforcesmotorsports.com

All-Star Cpr Racing
Armed Forces Motorsports Group
http://www.facebook.com/TurbotomRacing
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 pm
Check out: http://pure-gas.org/
I get mine from a local gas station about 3 miles from my place, 92 octane non-ethanol for just under $5/gallon.

Edit: they have a Droid and iPhone app now as well for when you are on the road.

Todd Butler
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions