Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:26 pm
hi folks,

what are people doing for, if any, for some basic data acquisition system on the SRF?
Looks like the computer does have an accessible OBD port - correct?
I saw a hall-effect based suspension system that used little magnets to monitor suspension arm movement? That might be overkill for me right now, but a basic system that would monitor rpm, throttle, maybe an encoder on the steering shaft to monitor steering input? what about a brake line pressure sensor to monitor line pressure? i could probably use my iPhone to collect this data, but i am sure there is something a little more dedicated?

i already have my goofy sticker added, need to fix some of the glass, put a muffler on it, and hopefully goto limerock in 2 weeks for DE to try it out!

srf009 by sspano01, on Flickr
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:29 pm
There are at least a few of us who use the Traqmate system. It's relatively easy to use. I just monitor AFR and fuel pressure, in addition to the GPS functions built in.

Just curious, why are you planning on using a muffler for your car?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 pm
Nothing useful from OBD port (too old). Lots of options; I like AIM because of the quality of the hardware, software and level of support. If you just want the basics, lower cost systems work just fine. When we get the new engine we should have the ability to get information directly from the ECU.

All that stuff is nice, but I'd suggest starting with the basics with essential engine monitoring (RPM, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Volts), and a GPS-based systems that can provide most of what you need in terms of speed, braking, acceleration and cornering measurements without a lot of sensors needed.

Ideally, if you are working/are friends with other drivers, having a comparable system makes it possible to compare measurements. The most effective way to progress is to measure yourself against others, otherwise all that shock accelerometer, brake pressure, TPS, etc. data are meaningless unless you know what to do with the results.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am
hi

thanks for a few ideas and suggestions! i dont want to go too crazy right now with any kind of data setup, because as you said, knowing exactly what to do with the data is much harder than collecting it....

good to know that the new ECU will have a better data extraction ability.

i'll see what I can come up with for a simple system using what you have suggested. my iPhone has a pretty neat GPS/OBD app (harrys lap timer) its kind a cool for $20 on a phone and has certainly helped me in DE with my other cars, but i'd like to get something more dedicated for the SRF. i was thinking at least brake/gas monitors along with gps/g-force measurement.

oh and the muffler? i am hoping to goto limerock for DE event on 3/23. they have 86dB limit most days there so you have to muffle up.

and i am very much looking forward to watching more SRFs run the track so I can follow them and work on getting better. very excited to go out this year.

thanks!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm
I would recommend buying a camera before buying a data system. You can learn a lot by reviewing the video after a session by yourself or by having a more experienced racer watch with you.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm
peterjank wrote:I would recommend buying a camera before buying a data system. You can learn a lot by reviewing the video after a session by yourself or by having a more experienced racer watch with you.

Good call. Attach a $250 GoPro camera and you can learn a lot.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm
Yes! The video can really be helpful
Look likes tracqmate can work with a gopro and make some slick video overlays :)

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions