Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:29 am
srf99 wrote:I certainly understand the "if it doesn't say it, assume it's spec" aspect, that's part of what I like about the class. However, I don't see anywhere in the GCR where any surge box style or part number is listed anywhere. In fact, I don't see anywhere where a surge box is or isn't required. There are a variety of surge boxes available, and I think Dave raises an interesting point. Just curious if anyone knows more (definitively) than what I've found by searching.

Might want to try a different search engine:

http://www.specparts.com/fue007-surge-box-fuel-cell/
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 am
I believe as a general matter that the contents of the SRF Assembly Manual have the status of "rules" we're supposed to live by. As examples which have been discussed fairly widely, the locations of the Naca duct and the mount for the airbox are specified only in the Manual. I don't have mine with me, but that is where I'd check for an answer to this question. Perhaps more to the point, if you use an illegal valve, who is going to know or care? I'm not advocating cheating but I wouldn't lose sleep over this one.

Michael Hausknecht (NE#60)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm
WhatsThatNoise wrote: So where is it spelled out that only a 1" ball valve is legal?
Think for yourself...

<sigh>
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm
Wonder what the protest fee would be to pull a fuel cell? :)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:44 pm
dave wrote:Wonder what the protest fee would be to pull a fuel cell? :)

lol no doubt. I can imagine the discussion now:
<driver to steward> "Um, I'd like to protest car x's .... um ... internal fuel cell surge tank."
<steward> "?"
<driver> "yes, his surge tank. I don't feel like he's, well, surging enough. "
<steward> "ok, the protest fee will be for you to submit to a breathalyzer test ... please step over here"
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 am
Slippery slope - if we start applying the interpretation of "I wouldn't lose sleep over it" then when do you "start losing sleep"? We need to keep Enterprises in business and the only way that happens is if we buy the legal parts from them (and by "them" I mean the CSR eco-system as well) and not skirt around the issues for convenience or economics (and those that are only legal to buy from Enterprises are clearly spelled out by their part number). This class has not fallen into the "Spec Miata" trap of "it's legal as long as I don't get caught" by sticking to the "spirit" and not just the "letter" of the law (for the most part !-)) There's a process for change (ala air filters, for example) and Erik (with a K) and team have been very good at making changes as needed without getting tied up in SCCA rules bureaucracy (like the brakes) so if you feel that there's a good reason to change the surge box ask them; worse that can happen is they say no.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 am
Hey guys I just saw this thread

C.3. Maintenance and Repairs
It is permitted to perform routine maintenance and repairs as long as existing parts are in no way modified and replacement parts are official Spec Racer Ford parts. If any official Enterprises’ or Roush seal is broken, by accident or intent, the procedures outlined under C.20., shall be followed. Parts with an Enterprises part number having the prefix “R10” are considered to be unrestricted, providing their dimensions are comparable. No other parts are to be considered “unrestricted” except where specified.

C.12. Fuel System
All changes from the Renault SR system are listed in the RFSRII and must be installed as directed therein, with no modifications.

If there is a time when we can no longer supply the round ball valves, at that point we may need to make a change.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm
What he said!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions