Idiot Fuel Pump Warning

Technical and Repair Discussions
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 pm
From my personal idiot files.

Recently #115 got a new fuel cell with the upgraded internal fuel pump and surge box compliments of Steve Fenske. I was very excited to get her up and running. When I went to start the SRF, there was no fuel was moving despite the pump running (easy to hear). I double checked the connectors to make sure they were correct, they were (even reversed the polarity to no avail). After number calls for help from Steve it became apparent something was amiss with fule pump installation.

Out came the Butler seat, and the fuel cell with about 3-5 gallons of fuel in it - joy of joys. Double checked the installation, ultimately removing the surge box/fuel pump. Pulled the fuel pump to find (drum roll please) I'd left the litte red cap on the end of the pump that actually sucks up the fuel. :oops: Once removed, car started right up.

Gentlemen, please remove the red cap on the new fuel pump before installing said pump. This has been a public service announcement from The Idiot Pfeffer files.

Feff

PS: HUGE thanks to Steve Fenske of Midwest Spec Racer for all the advice and help.
Last edited by Feffman on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
724/454
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm
Feff,
Is there a reason you did not use the spiffy in-tank filter that comes with the pump? It goes over that pump inlet in place of the red cap.

Brent
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 pm
BWALTZ wrote:Feff,
Is there a reason you did not use the spiffy in-tank filter that comes with the pump? It goes over that pump inlet in place of the red cap.

Brent:

The little red cap fit in the spiffy little filter just fine (ARGH!), but alas no more. I have it on my tool chest to remind me to laugh when car things go awry.

Feff
Last edited by Feffman on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 am
Don't worry Feff. Most if not all of us who work on our own Spec Racers have done more than one dumb thing. Your story reminded me of my first year of racing when my brother and I raced an old Triumph GT-6. We were replacing a cracked bellhousing on our tranny in the field at "NelsonRing" and after completely bolting it back together in the car in 90+ heat in a grassy paddock only to see our clutch throw out bearing sitting in the grass beside us! I won't repeat the lovely words that came out of our mouths on that one :)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm
I was in the process of changing to the in tank pump (last step was the molex connectors) when I read your post. I went straight to the box to make sure the red cap was there, it was. My OhNo item was fitting the sealing gasket of the molex conector on the wrong side of the cap, just meant starting over on one side and new pins, a lot easer than taking the tank back out. However once all was complete the added pump pressure exposed a previously buggered AN fitting on the fuel filter, you have to get these from the manufacturer or replace the filter entirely.
Griff

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm
However once all was complete the added pump pressure exposed a previously buggered AN fitting on the fuel filter, you have to get these from the manufacturer or replace the filter entirely.
Griff

Here is your fitting. http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/15605/10002/-1
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions