Winterizing and Storage

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am
Given that this is a true spec series, and all of our cars are the same, SRF is very well suited to online data sharing. This should be a big selling point to attract new racers -- particularly younger racers.

The first step would be to get Enterprises to post the manuals at no cost as searchable PDF files and allow them to be freely distributed. I can't imagine it is a very big revenue item. I also like the idea of videos as a way to convey DIY information. Anyone with a camera (phone) can do it, and then post it free to YouTube or Vimeo. Then all we need here are links to those videos. (It's always easier said than done.)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am
Let me know when you have posted some, I will make sure there are links here....
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm
It would be great to have Enterprise post some how-to's or the manuals in PDF format. There are lots of SRFs getting sold on the pre-owned market, and these owners may or may not know how to safely service the vehicles. The CSRs are all really cool and share lots of info, but I don't want to email or call them with every question! (I am sure they'll eventually stop being cool.....) When I first got my SRF, I poured over every detail of their site and come up with very little info. I emailed some companies about the manuals and they said that they were not all that helpful. (too broad info)

A YouTube channel would be cool. They seem to have info-vids for everything. I looked up the fuel-removal process and found very few leads, and no vids.) In the end it was not difficult, but I had to go out and buy some hose, and a wrench. (oddly, my wrench set did not have the right size!)

The last question is about Liability. I wonder if that stops these vids and blogs from getting made. I would worry if someone used my technique, and managed to set themselves on fire! I could put a disclaimer on my advice, but would it hold up? (isn't it sad that we have to think about this at all??)

Anyway, I'm going to start taking photos of everything on my car, and some vids. If we get some action on the blog, I'll have a start on the content!!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 pm
I almost fell for the "too broad" thing about the manuals, but ended up getting them anyway. Remember, what your CSR says is too general is probably just what a beginner needs.

The fuel cell installation is a prime example. It is explained very well in the book, at least half the cars I've opened the cells up on have had the surge tank installed improperly.

It also has a list of all the fasteners on the car, and the names of all the parts.

IMHO, rather than putting the books online for free, I think Enterprises should do it and charge a subscription fee and use the income to update and organize them. That's what the auto manufacturers do.

One interesting thing that may not be obvious to someone new. There is a very small subset of people posting things online. I suspect there are more who don't like so much info being shared (in fact, I've had a few tell me they don't like it).

I don't think the liability thing comes into play unless you are doing something commercially. Obviously, it is something Enterprises has to be concerned about.

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm
dave wrote:
One interesting thing that may not be obvious to someone new. There is a very small subset of people posting things online. I suspect there are more who don't like so much info being shared (in fact, I've had a few tell me they don't like it).

I don't think the liability thing comes into play unless you are doing something commercially. Obviously, it is something Enterprises has to be concerned about.

Dave

I would not expect anyone to post their set-up specs or "speed secrets." But if they're on track with me, they're better off if I know the proper torque specs for lug nuts and axle nuts!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm
GregCirillo wrote:
dave wrote:

Dave

I would not expect anyone to post their set-up specs or "speed secrets." But if they're on track with me, they're better off if I know the proper torque specs for lug nuts and axle nuts!

...and how often to torque them :o
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm
I agree Greg, given Dave's example of the surge tank in the cell. Ok, someone ( a new person to SRF ) goes and spends the time to remove the fuel cell and orders all the items for the upgrade for $350 or so dollars, they now need to also spend $55 for the directions on how to put these items in? I have raced in spec classes for the past 12 years and they all provided a certain level of online support for the racing community. Why not provide complete directions for such items that are safety related to the group? If so many of them are put in incorrectly it would seem to me that this is an issue.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:19 pm
You don't HAVE to spend $55. I just didn't want to take one without paying for it (but I also report my income). :)

Plus I'm pretty sure they came with the car, so there should be about 800 floating around somewhere.

As far as other spec classes go, can you give some examples of how they provide online support? Maybe that would give the powers that be an idea of how to go about it.

Also, Enterprises has really been doing a really good job lately of providing documentation, specifically the fuel flow newsletter and the instructions that come with the in-tank fuel pump.

Dave
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 pm
Jerry A. wrote:
GregCirillo wrote:
dave wrote:

Dave

...and how often to torque them :o

And how to bypass the rollover valve? ;)
Dave Harriman
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:24 am
I am just posting to bump the winterizing topic up again. This will be my first winter taking care of the car on my own. I have an unheated garage and am looking for any advice. I do have extra storage space in my heated basement (battery, fire bottle, tires, video recorder). I will likely put the bodywork in the enclosed trailer to keep it out of the way.
I really like the idea of repair & maintenance tutorials (video, photo, checklists or otherwise) posted in the technical section. I'll be happy to add what I can.
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)
PreviousNext

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions