Installing harness ladder bar ( & now Fuel flow questions )

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm
ctkellett wrote:Joel, so I had a little time and I have the cell unhooked from the motor side and I have the seat out and the panel off from the inside of the car. Does the cell just slide out from here? After disconnecting the black large filler hose from the outside of the cell, do I need to remove the filler neck plate ( oval or round one?) as well to remove the cell?

Thanks!

There should be some tabs on some of the bolts on the oval cover that you need to turn so they clear the firewall, then just pull the cell out from the cockpit. You might want to drain it first (or should have already).
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 pm
Dusty Knows Best!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 pm
Joel, you are one of the bravest guys I know for taking that whole thing on as your first project with the car. BTW, I am working on a car right now that has the ladder bar replacing a setup I've never seen before, you will have to check it out next time you are down here.

Dusty has been so busy this Winter, we've moved his office:
office.jpg
(363.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 pm
Finally found some pictures,, attached is the cell out,, you can see two of the locations, bolts out, that hold the tabs. Will send as a message,, could not attach it, it had to be too small. Send me your email address and I will send it,, didn't see how to attach it to a message. Joel
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:08 pm
Hi guys,
I really don’t read or post here very often. We have long term CSR’s or class experts that “really do know” the car and its history.
After doing some catching up on some of the threads…I do have the official Kinsler Spec’s on the pump we use. (I rounded to the nearest OZ)

Gasoline of .72 Sp Gr @ 70 degrees F 13.2 volts at the pump (not the same as at the battery in some cases)

OZ volumes per 30 seconds

1 PSI or free flow
Min 41 oz. .64 gpm
Max 44 oz. .69 gpm
40 PSI
Min 24 oz. .38 gpm
Max 29 oz. .46 gpm
Dead Head no flow
Min 53 PSI 0 gpm
Max 58 PSI 0 gpm

Test conditions and GPM’s are straight off Kinsler spec sheet for our pump.

Reality is 1.9 makes peak torque around 4100 / 4300 RPM just after that say 4300 / 4600 RPM is where peak injector pulse width happens. Depending on which correction factor you use(we use SAE) @ 105 HP fuel consumption is around 22 / 24 oz a minute. All engines are a little different. The 1.9 is not as efficient as more modern designs.
My guide lines in the fuel pump tech bulletin are conservative and very safe.
I don’t want anyone to have an engine failure before normal rebuild time. I’m on your side…The less trouble you have, the more fun you can have..! That is my goal !

The thing people don’t consider, “air in the fuel at the rail” and the fact air goes up and volume goes down as you increase PSI.
The injector is just an orface that opens a closes in a very precision manor…it doesn’t know if it let 100% solid fuel through or 90% solid fuel through and so on….

Please remember it's my job to help our CSR’s and then Owners when problems become difficult to diagnose.

Mike d
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm
We just replaced the fuel cell and Flatoutracing installed the new fuel pump in the cell.
My son's car does not have a AFR gauge and I do not believe a fuel pressure regulator.
Does the new in cell fuel pump help solve some or most of the fuel flow problems?
( just asking here because I keep forgetting to call Flatout during the day)
Car#28

John

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 am
Without a doubt the new pump solves the problem. In fact you will likely need to back down the pressure regulator to get back to where you need to be. If you run the volume test again with the new pump be prepared to run the test for only 15 seconds otherwise you will overflow a 32oz container.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 pm
Just had the ladder bar welded in this morning. Some paint and the re-assembly will begin.

Feff

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 pm
Thanks, folks, I did finally finish the pump install and new Fuel Reg and it did seem to solve the flow issues that I was having. I know that this sounds silly but when I put it all back together I noticed that the FPR is on the return side of the fuel rail, not before the Fuel injectors like I would have thought unless I have made a mistake here. If I am looking at the fuel rail from the right rear tire, the send is on the left side and the return is on the right,correct? I am looking at the photos from Enterprises notes on fuel flow and the photo seems to show this as well.
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:06 pm
Just to keep the left and right out of my answer…there are 2 different size spring latching OEM fittings on the 1.9 fuel rail. The larger of the 2 is the inlet or from the Fuel pump. The smaller one is the return to the cell and it is after the FPR. The FPR maintains fuel pressure in the section of the fuel rail where the injectors are attached and bleeds unused fuel to the cell.
Hope that helps…
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
PreviousNext

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions