Tube from thermostat housing to coolant tank?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 am
I noticed many other cars at the track having a T in the hose going to the coolant tank with a tube going down to the top of the thermostat. My car has never had it so was wondering what the function is and if it's something to worry about?

Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 pm
That's way before my time, but judging by some other cars I've seen, maybe that's supposed to keep you from having to burp air from the cooling system? Do you have a fitting on the housing?
I've heard people from the old days talk about having to go through a procedure to get the air out of the system after re-filling...
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:38 pm
The function of that tee arrangement is to be a constant bleed of air out of the top of the thermostat housing. There is a "frost plug" on top of the housing that can be removed and then tap the hole for 1/4" pipe which will then accept a barbed fitting so you can attach a hose.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 pm
Thanks Steve

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm
specdoc wrote:The function of that tee arrangement is to be a constant bleed of air out of the top of the thermostat housing. There is a "frost plug" on top of the housing that can be removed and then tap the hole for 1/4" pipe which will then accept a barbed fitting so you can attach a hose.

Hi Steve, I looked closer and it's got 2 frost plugs. I assume it's the smaller one if you are tapping for 1/4 inch pipe? Does this make a noticeable difference in cooling system performance?

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 am
adambrouillard wrote:
specdoc wrote:The function of that tee arrangement is to be a constant bleed of air out of the top of the thermostat housing. There is a "frost plug" on top of the housing that can be removed and then tap the hole for 1/4" pipe which will then accept a barbed fitting so you can attach a hose.

Hi Steve, I looked closer and it's got 2 frost plugs. I assume it's the smaller one if you are tapping for 1/4 inch pipe? Does this make a noticeable difference in cooling system performance?

Yes it is the small one. At first they allowed a petcock valve there to assist in bleeding the system after engine installation. Then they came up with the constant bleed system which worked much better and was automatic. Then there was a period of time where Enterprises said if you did not have that system installed they would not consider a warranty on an engine. That was a long time ago and most people probably forgot that part. It does help improve the cooling efficiency by minimizing the air pocket in the top of the head. It is still recommended to jack up the left side of the car occasionally while the engine is running to purge the hard to get to air pockets.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 am
Is the thermostat housing aluminum?

I'm re-doinig some hoses on #115, I assume I won't violate a rule if I do away with the barbed fittings and use adapters to use braided steel lines with AN fittings?

Feff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm
Is there a particular procedure for flushing the cooling system that someone can point me at? Also, I'd like to source a petcock for the radiator drain instead of just letting it run out on the ground.

Thanks for any pointers,
Wayne
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 am
mrldcty wrote:Is there a particular procedure for flushing the cooling system that someone can point me at? Also, I'd like to source a petcock for the radiator drain instead of just letting it run out on the ground.

Thanks for any pointers,
Wayne

When I got started in SRF, I asked an experienced SRF driver how often to flush the cooling system. He chuckled a bit, and told me that the SRF had a self-flushing cooling system. He refused to elaborate. In my 5 years of racing, my cooling system has "self-flushed" 3 times. Unfortunately, the self-flushing mechanism usually requires a new radiator, a new nose pan, some Bondo, and a lot of racer's tape.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm
Ed,

Your comment made me chuckle.

One of my racer friends looked in my trailer once and asked why I had a stack of new radiators in the boxes. I responded that in our class, radiators were considered a 'consumable' part.

Rod S
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions