Cool Suit included in car weight allowance

Technical and Repair Discussions

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 pm
Should we be able to install a cool suit system and have the weight included in the minimum? Seems that it is safety issue and should be part of our normal equipment. Should we create a petition for a change in the rules?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:58 pm
I spoke to Mike D a couple of months ago about this and he said he has no plans to make cool suits be within the min weight. He's concerned that drivers will move them around for weight balance. I also heard from a CSR that not all cooling devices currently installed will fit in the same location. I wish they were within min weight but I'd rather stay away from heat stroke than save the 10+ pounds.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:39 pm
Here is an opinion that you may not agree with: assuming that a cool suit is an advantage, why should it be included in the min. weight? In a spec class, that means that everyone has to buy a cool suit if it is included, right?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 am
Steve,
It's as much an advantage as a Hans. Guards agianst adverse physical harm. Like I said, I'll do it anyway to make sure I can survive the weekend.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am
dd16 wrote:Steve,
It's as much an advantage as a Hans. Guards agianst adverse physical harm. Like I said, I'll do it anyway to make sure I can survive the weekend.

Where are you located? We race in 90-105 degree weather frequently, at least once at 114. I can only think of one SRF driver who used a cool suit (and he's from Minn. :) ), and it would melt down before the end of a race.

I figure they are more of a benefit in a closed car where there's limited airflow, Some guys soak clothing in cold water. If you drink it or wear it, it counts towards the min. weight. :)

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 am
Houston. As I said, I'll use one regardless. I was answering the original post's comment. The responses received thusfar are precisely the responses I was told that the CSRs made when the subject was raised in a telecon.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 pm
dd16 wrote:Houston. As I said, I'll use one regardless. I was answering the original post's comment. The responses received thusfar are precisely the responses I was told that the CSRs made when the subject was raised in a telecon.

Different kind of heat. 80 there is like 100 here.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 pm
dd16 wrote:Steve,

That is a stretch. My Hans only does something to protect me when an incident occurs. A cool suit provides an advantage throughout the event.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 pm
Aren't we all just way cool, anyway...toolin' around in our SR3's.

H.(Hey, good looking! I'll be back to pick you up later)B.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 pm
the best way to protect yourself from heat stroke is to be in really good shape and prload with a lot of water and maybe some electrolyte drink- but be careful of the sugar in some of these- it is not really needed for an activity of less than an hour- open cockpit cars rarely use cool suits due to adequate airflow.

we only race for a max of 45 minutes, if you hydrate prior, get in shape, stay in the shade on the grid it is very unlikely to have a problem.

We mountain bike race in 90+ degree heat for 2 hours (in the humidity up here in new england) and rarely is heat stroke a problem as most everbody uses adequate rehydration. You can put a water bottle with ice in the car accessed by a drinking tube- this is cheaper/better than a cool suit and does not add weight as you consume it. just put it in a flexible thermos and run a tube. You can even use a camel back bladder.

If you are not in shape- a good exercise program over the winter will really help you heat tolerance.

hope this helps

Dr Bruce
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions