Winterizing - coolant or anti-freeze type?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm
I've read some mixed opinions on what type of coolant to use for winter. I live in MN where temps can get down to say -40 F on occasion. I'm new to SRF but have been racing 944s for the last decade. I would run water/wetter during season and switch over to aluminum-safe coolant like Prestone for the winter. What do you all suggest?

I'll drain the fuel cell and rail while I'm at it, using the pump switch near the ECU.
Andrew
roocox@gmail.com
Minneapolis, MN
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:26 am
I spoke with ATL. They said the preferred method for winter storage is to drain the cell entirely, as even if your gas has little ethanol present, the ethanol will settle at the bottom and deteriorate the bladder.

For those new to SRF (me), use the fuel pump switch near the ECU to entirely drain the fuel cell. Just turning the ignition on will only make the pump cycle. It won't keep running. To keep the pump running, there is a switch meant specifically for draining the fuel. The switch is near the relays that are attached to the ECU support bracket inside the left side pod. To run the fuel pump, you have to have the master and ignition switches on and depress the button on the switch. To drain the fuel, detach the 90 degree blue fitting on the back side of the red fuel filter that's attached to one of the left rear frame rails.
Andrew
roocox@gmail.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions