Why does my SRF smell?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm
My SRF fills my garage with a gasoline smell so bad that I leave the door up a1/2” and have the attic open to vent through the roof. The more gas in the cell, the more gas odor. The cell is 5 years old and I have checked for leaks. No leaks on the floor, car floor or behind the seat.
Sealed the vent hose and that did not help. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Cory
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm
I wonder if you could find/borrow one of those sniffers to find the source. I had a similar issue and it drove me crazy for a couple of weeks until I realized it was a gas can for my lawn mower that was dripping in a dark corner. Good luck with it.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm
They only time I had that strong of a smell it was the cell. I would pull seat and cell cover panel.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm
How does the gasket on your gas cap look? Still pliable?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 pm
Same problem,, new cell, pulled it as part of putting in a ladder ,,, the only thing I found was the vent connection on the cell was loose and has a small stain under it,,, only had 4 gals in the tank,,, disassembled, corrected the loose fitting,, will be putting the cell back-in Thursday or Friday,, so was that it or did I loosen it taking the line off??? BTW no drippping, no stains, no signs of gas anywhere, have looked and looked? Having to keep the garage door open a inch or two! Thanks Joel :?
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 am
Thanks for the info. Will be checking the connections. Seal on the cap look ok.
CV

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:30 am
Check the large oval and small round gaskets at the rear of the fuel cell. Torque, but do not over torque the series of bolts around these fittings. Sorry I don't remember the torque on these bolts but it is supprisingly low.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am
14 in-lbs.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 am
14 In Lbs it is, my T-Wrench only goes down to 25 In Lbs,, so I did the wrist guess!! I did not check the small ring when I reassembled the cell, will do that also, FYI I removed the only other new source of fuel from the garage that was also in the trailer,, a generator, once I reinstall and fill the cell,, lets hope the problem will be solved, if so I will return the generator to the garage and see if the strong smell comes back.. News maybe Friday,,, Joel

PS I have about 14 other sources of fuel plus a V8 with side draft Webers in the garage,, no smell from them other than racing fuel after the Corvette with the Webers has been run,, Oh 110 racing fuel smells fine and goes away, the two new items are the SRF and Generator that came at the same time :lol:
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 pm
Just corrected the same problem. Mine would also leak if the tank was full and then let the car sit in the sun, like on the false grid ( Honey, when I pull away just tell the grid marshal the puddle is from over filling).
What I found was a loose bulkhead fitting on the vent line. Of corse to fix it required disasimbley of the fuel cell cover. If it could be determined that was the only problem it could be done from under the car but not at my age. I took the cell completely out to make sure there were no additional issues. Hope yours is that "easy".
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions