RENAULT SPECIFIC QUESTIONS

Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm
There are a few Sports Renault members here on the forum. I thought it useful to consolidate a few questions I have had, and the answers, as well as ask a few more. I've taken a little time to do most of the necessary preview/due diligence (searching the Forum).

First, a few "Introductions", as of recent/last postings (by no means complete) by current Spec Renault owners (either running as Vintage or other classes/track days):
CURRENT SRRs.jpg
CURRENT SRRs.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 7907 times

Many of the forum members have been involved since the very beginning of the Spec Series. I note that sometimes they are referred to as the 3rd Generation "Club" (of Driver/owners), as opposed to recent 3rd Gen.

I propose to "ask" and solicit input on the following, and will in turn, but feel free to jump in at any time. The focus will be on Renault Racers, but many of the questions may apply to GEN2 and GEN3 as well.

It just seems to be "good" Forum Etiquette to keep these questions in a single thread.

I will tackle the simplest first:

Serial Number/Identi-Plates
    Cockpit Layout
    Mirrors
    Hubs/Bearings/Axles
    Brakes/Calipers/Rotors
    Upper Control Arms

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm
SERIAL NUMBERS and IDENTI-PLATES

So, I'll start off with hopefully a simple one - What and where is my SN? This was an initial question I had, and the forum was very helpful in locating it. I in turn, shared with another owner who had the same question.

Its location:
chassis number location.jpg
chassis number location.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

I note from previous threads (and the venerable Mumm Bros.) that the Renault were built and delivered by RJS up through chassis 450. RJS was Renault/Jeep Sport, a subsidiary of American Motors. It appears that after 450, the cars were built by Enterprises. Is that when Identi-plates started?
when SCCA Enterprises won the bid in 1987 and began production?

If so that would mean any car after 450 would have an ID plate, yes? If so were they all located above the shifter in the cockpit?

PIC
identiplate.jpg
identiplate.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

This from Spec Racer 501, which suggests it was a Renault-based car, based on SN, and a product of Enterprises.
Identi-plate.jpg
Identi-plate.jpg (31.61 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

When/did Enterprises begin shipping complete GEN2 kits? Does the Identi-Plate on a GEN2 or GEN3 indicate SRF -- or "Spec Racer?"

Thanks all.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/turnrightracing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm
Thanks for putting this topic on the forum as I have appreciated all the information you have shared for me. Hopefully the thread will generate some additional information as well.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:25 pm
Greetings fellow SR racers!
I just saw this thread, I'm sorry I didn't see and respond to it sooner.
My car is alive, well and racing at Waterford Hills in Michigan. There are four Renaults registered, generally only two of us race. We are grouped with Miatas, SRFs and Production cars. The short, tight track makes the SRFs only a second or so faster than our Renaults.
I would welcome any exchange of information. My main competitor is a wealth of info; he owns chassis # 1 and raced in the support races at the Detroit Grand Prix (when it was Formula 1) in the mid 80s.
I was about to post a new thread looking for racers interested in a possible vintage series. Waterford has an annual vintage race that brings cars from as far away as CA. It's coming up July 28 and 28 this year. It is run by a fellow named Joel Hershoren. He approached me about seeing if I could drum up interest in a series for former SCCA Spec Racers; Renaults, Miatas, SRFs and possibly Neons. If we could secure a big enough field, we could approach other vintage series about including us as a separate class.
I look forward to hearing if anyone is interested. I will post it also in the general discussion forum.
Thanks,
Brian Murphy

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions