Muffler repack 3@%&*!!

Technical and Repair Discussions
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:28 am
I'm trying to open up my muffler to repack it. I cannot get the darn Alumunum end cap off. If I try to pound on the lip around the edge much more it's going to be gone. Any tips on how to get the thing off?

Also, is there an Enterprise part number for the packing material?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 pm
You are in the same boat as most of us. End cap has to come off the center pipe. spray a lube on that pipe in the center. Make sure that pipe is not bent up from clamping it. Either way you have to get it started then I put a bolt back in its hole so it will not go back as it seems to move when trying to knock out other side. Once I can get it out enough I put the end cap that is sticking out in a vice. Not to hard but enough to hold it and wiggle the muffler up and off. Again it is held on there by the center pipe. I had one I beat to death to but was able to reuse it.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 pm
WM301040C is the part number for muffler packing material.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:52 am
It's becoming quite clear we need a muffler that does not require service at all.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 am
I completely agree that we need a spec, off-the-shelf muffler from a third party manufacturer. A SuperTrapp would be perfect. There's nothing about the current muffler that isn't seriously flawed -- from high price, to poor quality, to troublesome maintenance, to confusing compliance. It needs to be replaced.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm
Bob Devol wrote:A SuperTrapp would be perfect.

I understand the dissatisfaction with muffler. I have had to weld an internal plate that broke. Also mine showed up with basically no packing. Additionally what happened to Cliff just sucks. I do not know why a SuperTrapp would help. They require packing as well

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 pm
Just in case you guys missed the thread from a few weeks ago, we've found one solution to the problem.

Just create a rule that says you have to run without packing and create an inspection hole.

No more packing, no more expense, no more health hazard, don't have to change vendors for the muffler or ask everyone to buy and install something different.

Maybe we lose a tiny fraction of a horsepower, does it really matter as long as everyone does? The cars will be more equal which is what this is supposed to be about.

To the OP, didn't mean to steal the thread. My first two repacks went easy then my third was a total $@#%% and yes I made sure to install in the same orientation. I had to use a similiar method as previously posted.

Hammer and screw driver to knock one side out then put something in hole to keep from moving back while driving out the opposite side. Still had to beat the shit out of it to get it off. End of mine muffler looks like shit now as the edge is beat to hell but still functional.

Used anti-seize when reassembling and it's been easier since. Also smoothed out the end cap with some sand paper as there were some rough surfaces there were causing it to stick. Almost seemed like dissimilar metal corrosion but in spots.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 pm
Martinracing98 wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:A SuperTrapp would be perfect.

I do not know why a SuperTrapp would help. They require packing as well

The SuperTrapp stacked baffle plate "flat" muffler (see Formula Mazda) is what we originally used on Sports Renault. No packing needed. And it worked great. Compliance was easy: run the specified number of plates and make sure they're always tightly fastened and you pass. Period. The price was nice, too.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 am
I did a repack this weekend. Upon opening the can, it was virtually empty, but there was a tangle of metallic wool wires around the central tube, so the original SCCA-E part must have had fiberglass and a metal wool combination. I pullout out as much of the metal as possible and re-stuffed it with stainless steel wool (2.5 packages). I unrolled the wool pads and stuffed it into the can with a wood dowel. I had planned on wrapping the tube with wire, but the inner-tube is welded to the end plate which is welded to the outer-tube. So stuffing around the tube from the open end was the only option. The car is noticeably quieter at idle (not that I care).

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:33 am
This is a health hazard, no good to be breathing in all this fiberglass and steel wool. I will contact Mike D and Mr Walsh and talk with them about using unpacked muffler as spec- it would solve everything.

Dr M
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions