Motor/transmission alignment tips

Technical and Repair Discussions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 pm
Hey Everyone,

We just pulled out a motor in a gen 2 and we are putting a different gen 2 motor in and we are having trouble getting the transmission and engine to line up properly. Does anybody have any tips on this??

Thanks!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:43 pm
It is possible to remove and install the engine and trans in one piece. I found it to be the easiest way. You do have to remove a few more pieces of the engine.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:15 pm
Make sure that you have used the proper clutch alignment tool when remounting the clutch plate, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail. Generally, a slight bit of rotation of the engine will be enough to get a proper seating (an extra strap on the engine hoist can help if you're trying to do it single-handed.)

Never did a one-piece installation on the Gen2, but I've heard it's reasonably easy with the Gen 3.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 pm
Yes the can fight you sometimes. You can also put them together on the floor first to make sure all is good with clutch alignment. That is what will hold you up most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:31 pm
Thanks everyone! The main problem is that we can't tell if the input shaft is in the clutch and splined properly and we don't want to put bolts in and crack the case of cause major damage. Thanks for all the tips and advice!!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:25 pm
BCRacer48 wrote:... The main problem is that we can't tell if the input shaft is in the clutch and splined properly and we don't want to put bolts in and crack the case of cause major damage.

Wishing you well. I was faced with a similar situation on my Renault + trans-axle install 3 days ago. Nearly wanted to say FuC1t and press on but remembered a favorite boat name - Force Nothing!
Jiggle and turn the shaft - a bit at a time and Force Nothing! Voila - it is in!

Everything went "home" after 4 tries. Best Wishes.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:06 pm
from my experience mating the 2 together can be a real big pain. a couple of things i do is when i set the trans in pull it all the way over to the driver side of the car and make sure that when lowering the engine down you can almost lower it all the way without the engine hitting the output shaft of the trans.

for lining up the trans shaft with the clutch, i make the engine in relation to the trans closer on the bottom and still having room split about 4 or 5 inches so i can see it line up with the shaft and or put my hand in between and see where the shaft is in relation to the clutch.

once i know that the shaft is lined up with the clutch (not necessarily with the splines of the shaft) i press the engine and trans together. lifting them both off the bottom frame tube a little bit you can rock the trans if you are standing by where the LR tire is and playing with the height of both the engine and the trans with the hoist.

make sure that you have the dowel pins in and they actually fit all the way into the trans, ive gotten to a point where i have them sandwhiched so well that i thought i was done and one of the dowels was cock-eyed and wouldnt mate that very last bit.

also make sure that the metal plate that is behind the flywheel is straight and not bent. once i had one going down and the plate got hung up on some part of the engine bay going down and tweaked it a bit, but if that plate doesn't line up with the dowels then mating them in a good way wont work very well.

last note, is that i have pushed them together and have not been certain that the splines were perfect with the clutch, but as others have said if you are sure that you lined the clutch and flywheel up with the tool then (from my experience) when the trans and engine dont have a gap when mated then the splines have to be lined up.

double check things, could be something that you have over looked, i usually take a long lunch and get back at it with a new set of eyes and a full belly.

good luck!

-Tony

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions