Aim Smarty Cam Bullet Mounting

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:47 pm
Hey all. Brown Santa/UPS just dropped off my new Aim cam set up. :D What are your mounting recommendations for the smart cam recording module? Do you mount it in the cock pit of the car? If so does that location mess with the sound quality of the recording? This set up will plug into my Aim MXL2 dash. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:45 pm
Use velcro or dual lock to mount the recorder to the side of the cockpit. Leave enough cable length loose, so you can remove it to easily view the screen and manipulate the buttons on the front.

We use the ReplyXD camera mounts to mount the bullet cam to the rollbar (small, and light). We have those in stock, just provide the roll bar diameter.

Adjust the settings so that it auto-powers off in the shortest possible time after recording (5 min?). Normally you will stop recording and turn off the car, but SmartyCAM GP will continue to run on it's internal batteries until this time is reached (or you turn it off manually with the buttons on the front).

Use RaceStudio 3 to configure your overlays on the SmartyCAM. Use the Live View and capture a screen view to use as a background while you set up your overlays. Makes it easy to put the trackmap and gauges in a good spot which will vary depending where you locate/aim the camera.

David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:41 pm
I have mine mounted on the upper left side of the cockpit. I have mine camera set up to turn on when the car hits 25 mph on the GPS speed. You never have to remember or fiddle with turning on the camera on grid.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 am
For mounting the camera, as David said, the Replay XD 1080 Mini mount plus roll bar mount ( 1-1/2") is way better then what you get from AIM. Works with the AIM Smarty Cam Bullet Cam.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:55 pm
Unfortunately I’m too late for the better mounting system. I bought the AIM version offered. I was considering mounting/Velcro the Aim recording module in the area to the left side of the drivers seat. Close to the firewall/side pod aluminum area above the fiberglass seat flange. Tucked back behind the side belt area.

I’m thinking this would give good access and be out of the way. What are your thoughts?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:52 pm
Move it closer towards the dash and mirror bracket. You will need to access the SD card to download the video. Plus it is a better distance for the AiM cables.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:56 pm
bob gardner wrote:Move it closer towards the dash and mirror bracket. You will need to access the SD card to download the video. Plus it is a better distance for the AiM cables.

10/4 Thanks! 8-)

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions