Transmission fluid

Technical and Repair Discussions
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:19 pm
I just drained the transmission fluid, two quarts were removed. Refilled trans, two quarts added, trans not to fill whole yet. Any data on trans capacity.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:23 pm
It will hold 3 1/2 to almost 4 quarts.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm
not sure where you are measuring, but the "official" fill to is halfway up the speedo gear (note the trans casting telling you that.) I always filled to there (2.5 qts) until a certain "specdoc" guy informed me that 2 quarts was plenty, and at that level you didn't create a mess if you had to pull out an axle. (this was shortly after one of his guys had pulled the axles out of my trans to do a clutch change at Hallett, and there was fluid all over the ground..he may have said dumbass under his breath, I am not sure)
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 am
What weight tranny fluid for the SRF? Any preferred/mandated brand?

Feff
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 am
steve kramer wrote:not sure where you are measuring, but the "official" fill to is halfway up the speedo gear (note the trans casting telling you that.) I always filled to there (2.5 qts) until a certain "specdoc" guy informed me that 2 quarts was plenty, and at that level you didn't create a mess if you had to pull out an axle. (this was shortly after one of his guys had pulled the axles out of my trans to do a clutch change at Hallett, and there was fluid all over the ground..he may have said dumbass under his breath, I am not sure)

I think one of "specdoc's" best qualities is helping people without making them feel like a dumbass. :)

Suspect some people run even less than two quarts, just from what I've heard...

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm
Yes as rumored above I suggest 2 quarts. And SK I did not have bad thoughts during that incident however I can't speak for the techs that did the work. ;)
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 pm
specdoc wrote:Yes as rumored above I suggest 2 quarts. And SK I did not have bad thoughts during that incident however I can't speak for the techs that did the work. ;)

Steve...I saw the mess and thought "WTF, don't these guys know what they are doing, you have to drain a half quart or so out so that doesn't happen! HA! I am that one that was the DA!"
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 pm
Feffman wrote:What weight tranny fluid for the SRF? Any preferred/mandated brand?

Feff

There is no rule - some people have been rumored to have run some interesting stuff, best left to the imagination.

We use Redline. The Redline cans that say transmission fluid, pretty sure it's the stuff with the red label. I can never remember which kind. :)

I have seen people use D4, Dextron, High Pressure Gear oil, pretty much all automatic. Does anybody use manual?

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 pm
I used the cheapest Autozone/Walmart Dextron ATF replacement in mine for 9 years. I'm not saying it's optimal, but it works, and it seems to work for a long time. After about year 5 I started thinking "man if it ain't broke..." so I just stayed with it.
I "upgraded" to another brand of ATF for the Runoffs this year just because, well, hey. It's the Runoffs. No clue if it made any difference. Same tranny as before <fingers crossed>.
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm
Redline D4 ATF. Manual transmission fluid is too heavy...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions