Front sway bar links - Weak point or coincidence?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 am
While going over the car this weekend (among other thing$) I noticed that both front sway bar end links (vertical rods from sway bar to suspension teeter-totter) are bent. They were both bent about 20 degrees on the lower ends, right at the heim joint. Is this a common issue or perhaps it was one hard hit that bent both? Do I replace the whole rod, or just the threaded end?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am
The heim end usually bend as a result of a suspension hard hit/accident. They are the weak link in the system. All you need to do is replace the bent rod end.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am
I replaced mine a couple years ago and I have a vague memory of being told to bend them on purpose to reduce binding due to the angle of the link. I can't remember whether that came from my CSR or from some other trustworthy source. I also can't remember the reason that the link angle was more severe than it was when the suspension was designed: ride height, softer bar settings since Goodyear tires, or what?

Aren't I a big help! :?
Last edited by Ed Cavalier on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm
Ed Cavalier wrote:I replaced mine a couple years ago and I have a vague memory of being told to bend them on purpose to reduce binding due to the angle of the link. I can't remember whether that came from my CSR or from some other trustworthy source. I also can't remember the reason that the link angle was more severe than it was when the suspension was designed: ride height, softer bar settings since Goodyear tires, or what?

Aren't I a big help! :?

That is helpful. I'll definitely speak with the CSR. Dammit if I busted all my knuckles getting them off last night only to have to put them back on!!! And yes, I did straighten one out, so I'll have to bend it again!?! Metal fatigue 101.

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:16 pm
we bend them about 20 degrees at the upper end for the reason Ed said. I can't imagine why yours are bent at the bottom unless someone flipped them over.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 pm
Thx. I am self-impressed that I guessed 20 degrees by eye. And that will come in handy when I re-bend it tonight. I will put them in the correct way.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm
:roll: That doesn't sound very "spec" to me.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm
dave wrote::roll: That doesn't sound very "spec" to me.

If it makes the car faster, you'll be the last to know!

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions