Transmission drain plug

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm
I thought I had put this question out here but I'm not finding it in search.

Does anyone know if an "oversized" drain plug exists for our trannies? Mine is stripped out and I'd like to figure out a replacement option.
If you have another idea, I'm all ears for that as well.
TIA!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm
I'm not sure what thread size it is but you could try a heli-coil thread repair. I'm not sure what size (14mm?). The issue would be getting all of the shavings out of a sealed transmission. If you were careful you might be able to flush them all out? Make sure you flush after drilling and prior to the heli-coil install otherwise there might be a shoulder sticking up in the transmission that wouldn't allow all particles to drain out.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 pm
Racer X wrote:I thought I had put this question out here but I'm not finding it in search.

Does anyone know if an "oversized" drain plug exists for our trannies? Mine is stripped out and I'd like to figure out a replacement option.
If you have another idea, I'm all ears for that as well.
TIA!

so that's your secret, strip the drain plug? Got it!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:19 pm
Determine the drain plug thread and pitch. Get a helicoil insert kit for that thread size. Use grease on the tap to trap the metal shavings. Install the helicoil insert with locktite (red is ok...but green is better).
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 pm
i helicoiled a spark plug hole on an V8 and used the grease and qtip to get the shavings out, a bit easier because the piston could blow air out.

I suppose in a pinch....you could wrap some duct tape around the drain bolt and tighten it back on. I would try that myself for sure :)
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 am
Use the grease as mentioned, go slow with drilling to keep shavings from spreading, suggest a heicoil, have used them before in aluminum, can also use Loctite® Epoxy Weld™ Bonding Compound when installing the coil but try not to create a lip on the inside as mentioned before, find a magnetic drain plug and go with the size you find.

On my list is to find a magnetic drain plug for the eng and trans but have not looked yet.

Good luck. Joel

(if all else fails try an expanding plug)

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions