Installing Right Leg Extension

Technical and Repair Discussions

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:07 pm
I have been asked how I installed the right leg extension. To install the right leg extension, you will need to cut away some of the extension sheet metal next to the shifter. This is how I installed it. Use this as a guide at your own peril.

Picture 1. I pulled back the vinyl about half way down the extension. I cut out a triangular piece that was interfering with the shifter. With the shifter in fifth gear, I installed the leg extension. I determined how much to cut off so the the shifter could move all the way forward into first gear without hitting the sheet metal (or crushing my fingers between the metal & shifter). The piece I took off was cut at 6 inches from the top tip of the extension and cut down at a right angle to the 15 degree bend going down the middle of the extension (and then cut along this bend). Depending on how your seat is installed, your measurement may vary. After filing the sharp edges, I then tucked the extra foam rubber around the end of the cut, folded the extra fabric to the inside cut out area and had my wife stitch up the fabric. I also cut the length down of the upper bolt so that it would not interfere with the shifter

This step takes away some of the stiffness of the extension, but it is the only way to get the shifter to work. In addition, in an impact, the extension would be held in place by the inside of the cockpit.

Pictures 2. Shows the extension in place and the placement of the upper bolt.

DaveP
[img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
leg3.jpg
leg3.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
leg2.jpg
leg2.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:14 pm
Note that there's some adjustability on the shifter to move it closer to the right side for more clearance. Also helps if the u-joints are tight (the rear often gets sloppy over time.) Replacing the roll pin can help; eventually the u-joint(s) may need replacement to tighten things up. Didn't realize how much slop you get used to until I ran in the Gen3 with a fresh shifter mechanism.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 pm
Good point Bob. I had already done this, but you can gain 1/4 to 3/4s of an inch doing what Bob described.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 am
An overhead view of the installation.

DaveP
Attachments
leg1.jpg
leg1.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 4940 times

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions