Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:25 pm
Hi Folks

I am rebuilding my SRF #009 and have it mostly all back together. I remember and have notes on how 99% of it was assembled.

So about that last 1% :D

A few questions

1. What is the routing for the throttle cable? Does it go through the interior aluminum or is it looped over the chassis right near the dashboard?

2. On my frame, the lower control arms in the rear...that mount closest to the fuel cell....the frame mount for the arms has two holes in each one. What are they for? Caster or some other alignment skew/offset? What ones are people mostly using? I have a new set of Penske shocks if that helps.

3. Oil cooler...generally looks "old" full of dust and skank on the outside/etc. Is there a "spec" oil cooler? Or can I get any cooler I like for a new one.

Thanks!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:07 pm
I don't have the 1.9 conversion book so I can't say want was required. However when I got mine the cable was routed through the cockpit and was rapped around the shifter. It put pressure on the leaver causing it jump out of 5th gear. I have since rerouted over the frame at the dashboard and back along the bottom frame rail through the firewall and up to the motor. It works for me and has since passed several of the additional SRF fee inspections so it must be OK!

I have seen different methods of mounting however the cooler is spec. I would wait to see if a better cooler is eventually coming with the GEN3.

I will look later to see if I have additional holes near the lower control arm mounts.

I always take lots of photos since my rebuild time is normally longer than my memory. Good luck!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm
thanks! i thought the throttle cable looped over the frame near the dashboard and along bottom as that's how its curvature wants to lay right now.

i'll look and see if I can find the part# for the oil cooler or call SCCA on it
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 am
Hey Steve:
The oil cooler is spec so contact your fav CSR or Enterprises for another one if you need one.
I have an early chassis like you and there are two mounting points on the front part of the lower control arms in the rear. Use the lower mounting holes for your control arm mounting. The upper one was there for real early Renault versions for reasons I now cannot remember. I still have the bolt in that upper mounting hole still in and just slightly snugged.
My throttle cable runs through the right side pod following the oil cooler lines initially and then comes back in through the right side firewall and attaches to our pedal. Never had any issues with it that way. Other mounting locations seem to be out there. I have the car covered up or i would describe where it comes back in near my pedal.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:05 am
The oil cooler is fairly easy to find, but the Enterprises list is a pretty good price. The original duct was hard to find...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 pm
Thanks folks!! I have contacted Motion Dynamics and ordered some more items. I'll be expecting my christmas card from them soon :O

I am hoping to get to West Palm in January. Making really good progress on the assembly and will be itching to test it and see how all these shiny new parts and shocks work :D

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions