Storing car during the winter and oil of choice?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 pm
Hello, I am relatively new to the SRF community and was curious how others store their cars for the winter? Do you leave your car on jack stands to preserve the shocks/tires or does it matter?

I am also curious what brand of oil you consider to the be highest quality. I have been told to use Mobil 1 and I have also been told Mobil 1 is not what it used to be.

I would appreciate any thoughts others might have.

Thanks,
Steve

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:36 pm
I've just concluded my first year in SRF and put my car into storage last weekend. I drained the fuel cell, added anti-freeze to the cooling system (I live in Wisconsin), took out the battery, and put the car up on wooden blocks under the frame rails. I left the tires on the hubs but they're off the ground. The car is parked inside a enclosed trailer which is parked inside an unheated pole barn.

I've always raced with Mobil 1 and never had a problem. I'll be changing the oil and filter when I take the car out of storage. Hope this helps. I'd also be interested in what others are doing.

- Dave
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:10 pm
I live in Dallas so "winter storage" is relative. :) I have never once drained my tank of gas for storage. I know this seems odd, but I started out not doing so out of ignorance, and then I realized that my fuel cells were lasting as long if not longer than everyone else, so I just kept doing it (leaving whatever gas was in it, in it).
I do like to jack the car up off the ground when I can. I also disconnect the battery when I remember to.
I used Mobil1 for years and it's great.
my .02.
Denny
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:02 pm
Unheated garage (but rarely below freezing). Off the ground (lift pads). I try to start and run the car for 15 minutes once a week or every two weeks. I put a "Stabil" additive in the gas that supposedly deals with alcohol problems. No real winterizing.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 pm
If you are doing unheated winter storage and have a water based fire system it needs to be removed and stored inside. I would also recommend you check the anti-freeze freezing point using a cheap tester. I also add Stabil and have not yet drained the fuel cell. Also if your car is in a shed or out building type garage you might want to screen over the air intake. Also cover the oil cooler duct with removable tape. Two years ago I discovered a mouse nest in my air box and that wasn't pleasant.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 pm
My own personal preference is I seldom use fuel with ethanol , only in emergencys. I never store the car with ethanol in the tank only non-oxygenated fuel. Rumor has it that ethanol is hard on the fuel cell rubber and foam. My fuel cell has 14 years on it and not a leak or fuel filter clog yet. Maybe I'm just lucky. Otherwise on blocks with the battery tender on and that's it.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:55 am
For those who store the car "on blocks," what are you using as your blocks, and where do you put them?
Scott Ross

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:18 am
Scott,
We are using 6"w X 6"h X 10"L wood blocks one on each side just behind the front wheels and parallel with the frame. The rear block just sits in the middle on the rear frame.
We also use four regular auto jack stands and 2 rectangle 1" X 2" X 48" .125wall box aluminum tube to raise the car about 12" or so. We like this idea because of less space the pieces take up in the trailer.

If I get off my duff, I will make a 2 'A' frame ends and use a 48" .125wall box tubing and this will even lower the space for storage. Then if I do it right, I could add legs to raise the SRF up 36" or so. But it all has to be take apart for storage. Oh I have the design just got make it happen .
Happy Thanksgiving...

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am
Thanks all for the information! Currently I have my car on the square tube jack stands that came with the car to relieve the pressure on the shocks. Hopefully this is ok. I'll stick with the mobil1 since it sounds like most are still using it.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions