Fuel Pressure sensor

Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm
I am considering adding a fuel pressure sensor to my data system. I have a couple of questions:
What type, or manufacture, of fuel pressure sensor? Where have any of you installed it?
Another issue for me is that no data channels are open. Has anyone hooked two signals through a switch? For instance oil pressure and fuel pressure. The thought I have is that it could be switched to fuel P for set up and oil P for races. (obviously with some quick reprogramming). Would the switch contact make the signal unreliable? It should only be a 5V analog signal. Thanks
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am
My setup was for an AIM dash but it's a universal setup

Fuel Pressure sensor= VDO 0-150 psi

Installed just upstream of the fuel rail. Jay Green from Jay Motorsports got me a nice aluminum fitting that was about 1" long extension that had a spot for the sensor. Simple install.

Switch? shouldn't be a problem. Or just have the line pulled all the way to the data port and switch them out. You should just run the same pressure sensor for both so no need to reprogram.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:41 am
I added a fuel pressure sensor at the fuel inlet side of the fuel rail. Since I have an AIM MXL, I just purchased their recommended version, then added the couplings necessary to connect to the fuel rail. Believe it's a 5 bar (72psi) sensor.

The AIM also comes with a CAN-bus where you can add an expansion hub that allows multiple sensors to be sent through a single CAN-bus connection (Expansion hub) so it's not limited to the fixed number of connectors built into the harness. Any data acquisition system that has a CAN-bus connector should be extendable.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm
I'll reiterate my recommendation that if you have a data acquisition system, you should put a fuel pressure sensor on your car. IMO, FP information allows you to immediately eliminate (or focus on) 50% of all SRF engine maladies.
This might be less important as we move to Gen3, but I suspect it'll still be of value.
I would personally prioritize it over oil pressure.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions