Altenator belt tension

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm
Hi, I am in the process of re-installing my alternator and are curious what the tension should be on the belt. I tried to find documentation but, was unsuccessful. Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated. I want to make sure my alternator bracket does not over vibrate and break again.

Thanks, Steve
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:22 pm
Good-n-tight?

I was told to keep it as loose as you can get away with to preserve the alternator bearings and bracket. As long as it doesn't slip much, it's doing its job.

Sorry, but that's all I got.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 pm
Thank you Greg! I was able to get everything back together last night. Took a little bit of wrestling to get the old style alternator screw into the bottom of the bracket. There must be a trick out there to make this easier :?

Steve
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 pm
SRF77 wrote:Thank you Greg! I was able to get everything back together last night. Took a little bit of wrestling to get the old style alternator screw into the bottom of the bracket. There must be a trick out there to make this easier :?

Steve

There are at least (?) three alternator/bracket setups so I'm not sure what you're dealing with. I have an older setup and to adjust tension, I would just fiddle with the lower "turnbuckle" and then carefully pry up on the alternator (tensioning it with the belt on) and slide the clevis pin into place. I've seen folks re-install a belt the way you put a chain on a bike!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm
You might try attaching the adjuster first with the top bolt off, then put the belt on, then replace the top bolt. The lower bolt is definitely a pain, but I've seen worse...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm
Thanks for the replies. I should have documented the process for others.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions