Is it OK to add a distribution bar to collect ground wires?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm
I currently have a dozen or so random ground wires with end loops bolted to one spot on the frame for ground (right side near ECU). Would it be a problem if I installed a tidy distribution bar in that area, grounded to the frame, with the many ground wires on the distribution bar?

And while we're on the topic, what about a similar "hot" bar for accessories?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 pm
this is a good question!
I have my SRF009 completely torn down to the frame now, as its been in dire need of updates. I feel like I had a great season!! Even running on an engine with 1999 seals and a transmission with 1996 seals and original ~1996 KONI.

One of the things I noticed (I am an electrical engineer) is the horrible condition of my wiring harness. I made a few repairs to it earlier this year to fix some problems, but I know the ground return paths are awful. What is the flexibility on moving grounds, like using the frame for all ground return paths for some of these floating connections, like the fuel pump ground for example.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 am
Be careful, there is a misleading call out on the electrical schematic many of us use.

In the upper right hand of the drawing it shows a lot of the wires (Gray w/ red - usually) going to "ground". This is not chassis ground, this is a reference ground (Pin 36 on the ECU if I remember it correctly - but please double check this).
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 am
I'm not courageous enough to do anything other than reposition chassis grounds that are clearly and currently chassis grounds (spaghetti of wires on a single bolt) to make them neater. I'm just wondering if I could run afoul of the scrutes if I do it.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 am
Technically the cars are "to be assembled IAW the Roush and Renault manuals" but I won't say anything about it until I finish in second place behind you :)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm
I have done what you are proposing. It was the only way to properly add instrumentation and Cool Shirt power to my ignition switch, and efficiently ground them as well. My opinion is that it doesn't change the routing shown on the wiring diagram.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:24 pm
Dog Licked Racing wrote:Technically the cars are "to be assembled IAW the Roush and Renault manuals" but I won't say anything about it until I finish in second place behind you :)

I'm having trouble finding my IAW, Roush and Renault manuals. :lol:
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 pm
where might i find a schematic for the SRF? one of things i found earlier was alot of electrical noise in my car. This might be affecting sensor readbacks probably due to bad reference/ground connections..

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 pm
sspano01 wrote:where might i find a schematic for the SRF? one of things i found earlier was alot of electrical noise in my car. This might be affecting sensor readbacks probably due to bad reference/ground connections..

Mumm Brothers - Secrets - Maint Items

H.(always check there first)B.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 pm
Hal B. wrote:
sspano01 wrote:where might i find a schematic for the SRF? one of things i found earlier was alot of electrical noise in my car. This might be affecting sensor readbacks probably due to bad reference/ground connections..

Mumm Brothers - Secrets - Maint Items

H.(always check there first)B.

thanks!! I thought I saw one somewhere.....

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions