Tire Wear Interpretation

Technical and Repair Discussions

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 pm
Your assistance, please to interpret tire wear
At Mosport GP, after many, many, many laps,
I end up with heavy wear on the inside edge, much less on the outer edge (see pic)
More on the left side than right side.
-1.5 negative camber on the rear
30 lbs hot pressure
1/8 toe in

Is this expected? Am I running too little/too much pressure? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Attachments
SRF_Rear.jpg
SRF_Rear.jpg (10.91 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
Scott Cypher
SRF3 #577 G3
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:42 am
Totally normal wear pattern, Scott. Well, with one exception... "after many, many, many laps" for most of us is more like "after a few sessions". :)
Two things of note: if you are running 1.5 degrees of camber, make sure you keep an eye on the LR axle and outer CV as that can put it in a bind.
Also, 1/8" toe in sounds very high to me.
Pressure is good.
YMMV
Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:43 pm
I agree on tire wear that we all see over many heat cycles. I would first ask yourself how did car work? I would think the car would be loose with 1.5 on camber but I'm sure that also will vary on driver and track. Car feel and driver happy number one, tire wear number two.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 pm
I'm relatively new to the class, but that does seem to be typical. You can (and I think many do) re-mount the tires so the inside shoulder becomes the outside. Since the tires are the same, you can also re-mount front to rear (since the fronts seem to wear less, and more evenly)... not sure whether you'd want the worn former inside rear to be inside or outside on the front?? It's a little extra M&B cost, but then you end up with a set that is somewhat evenly worn, as opposed to going through rears faster than fronts. I got three weekends and two test days out of one set this year doing that, but the rears are totally bald now and I think the life is gone from them!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:08 pm
If you're running 1/8-inch TOTAL toe-in (1/16 on each side) then that's okay. 1/8 per SIDE is excessive and can contribute to the tire pattern you're seeing.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm
too much toe, not enough camber and ignore the wear pattern- you will never get even wear on the rears and after 15 heat cycles these tires are gone- 8 is max for a fast set. put front tires on rear does not matter which side they go on - it will take 15 minutes of running to get them to work. I would never use rears again- risk of delam and blow out once the wear is that bad- they are toast after the beating they take. good luck!

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions