West Coast Braggin' Rights

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm
Oregon Region issues a challenge to San Francisco and SoCal Regions to a 2 weekend SRF race series to determine which region gets the bragging' rights for the West Coast SRF Championship. Our goal is to add another layer of competition particularly for those of us who don't go to the Run Offs. The West Coast has some great racers. Let's showcase them and see who is the best.

The series will consist of a 2 race weekend in SFR and 2 race weekend in Oregon. Points would be awarded for 1st through last place. At the end of the two weekends we would add up the points and declare an overall champion as well as a region champion based on the top 5 point soarers from each region.

Trophies for the overall winners would be presented as well as the possibility of some prize money, merchandise awards, etc.

Proposed first race would be at Laguna Seca the weekend of June 8 - 10. The second weekend would be the following weekend in Portland at the Rose Cup Races. This year the SRF race on Sunday will be the Festival Trophy Race, sponsored by Pro drive, and will be a 40 minute race.

For more info contact dan.halloran@yahoo.com

Take the challenge and come on out and play!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 pm
Good suggestion Dan. The problem will be getting anyone from here to go up there to race. So by default you guys win. For me the Rose Cup makes for an undoable combination. I would get home on Monday and have to leave on Tues. No time to turn the car.

Bob

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Dan,
Bob is right about back to back weekends that are 1300 miles apart and most of the SFR drivers won't travel in the first place. So I would suspect that the Oregon guys would win. I would take part but the decision is totally up to the crew chief.
Bob
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 am
Thanks Dan,

Having a West Coast series sounds like great fun. You Oregon guys are always fun to great to run with when you come down here to the tracks No Cali, so the least we can do is go up and check out your home turf. Besides, I have wanted to check out Portland for a while (I always hear good things about Portland's awesome downtown).

Running consecutive races on consecutive weekends should not be all that difficult. Hell, the SRF guys on the east coast are racing on two different tracks (WGI and LRP) over one weekend. So I would think us west coasties should be able to do a two race series over two consecutive weekends. For me, I just picked up an enclosed trailer last month so this series is a good excuse to start doing some road trips and check out the scenery in nearby locals. I checked with the pit crew tonight, they were a little reluctant until I bribed them with massive amounts of Coors Light and now magically they are on board - so count me in !!!

When you get more details, please post them here, If there is anything I can do to help out, PM me.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am
As far as the Oregon guys winning, if you can't beat them on your home track, you probably won't beat them in Portland anyway. ;)

Jerry is right, the Rose Cup and Portland is a different experience (in the city, not in the middle of nowhere), part of the Rose Festival, which is really fun. There are real fans!

Maybe we can get some people from Cal Club to come.

We will definitely add it to our schedule!
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:19 pm
Well after discussing this with the crew chief, the Rose Cup race is tentively on the schedule for this year.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm
A quick update. First thanks for the great response from SFR. We plan on having a special area in the paddock for SRF so should be a great party. Portland has some great beer and there are suggestions it will be available in the evenings. We also have one sponsor promising to put some money into prizes.

It was also interesting to see SCCA add their new Majors Program although those of us on the West Coast seem to be excluded. This gives us the chance to do something similar.

Lots of excitement in Portland about the program and we will likely show up in force at Thill for a preview of what's in store.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm
Don't forget the Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships... could be the closer on this Series and get the SoCal guys involved... Buttonwillow October 27-28, 2012.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 am
Glad to hear from So Cal in participating in a West Coast Series. A lot of Oregon guys as well as Nor Cal guys will be down there this weekend in Fontana in your season opener. (I can't race due to work conflicts) Since a lot of people are there from all three regions, hopefully you all can talk over getting the first season series solidified ...

PS: Hope it does not rain this weekend (they say it never rains in So Cal?) - doing a buck and a quarter on a banked oval behind a draft in the rain could get "interesting" ;)
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 am
This is a shout out to all the San Francisco Region SRF racers.

I would like to invite you all to participate in the West Coast Braggin Rights Series. The idea for the series started here on Specracer.com. The idea is to encourage participation in more races thru a friendly inter-regional competition for those that would be open to travel (a little) to some other regions, but maybe not necessarily ALL the way to the runoffs. Hence, West Coast Braggin Rights Series. Initially, it is a two weekend series exclusively for spec racer fords. If successful, a Cal Club weekend would definitely be added to the series. The main goals of the series are to encourage driver camaraderie, increase participation at road races thru friendly inter- regional rivalry and most importantly to have some fun. Dan Halloran of the Oregon region has outlined an initial framework for the series. It is a great start, but a lot depends on the level of participation.

The series is scheduled over two consecutive weekends in early June, the first weekend will be held in the San Francisco Region, the second weekend in the Oregon Region. The SFR race weekend will be held at Laguna Seca, (which includes a test day on June 7th), and racing will be held run over the 8th to the 10th see: (http://www.sfrscca.org/). The following weekend will be the Oregon region race weekend. It will be at PIR - commensurate with the Rose Cup, (the track is open for testing on the 13th and 14th), and racing will be held from Friday the 15th to Sunday the 17th see: (http://www.oregonscca.com/).

For those of you that have not been to the Rose Cup (http://www.rosecup.com) it is quite a weekend of events. Overall there will be 400 weekend entrants in 25 classes, drifting exhibitions, a rock concert, Pirelli Cup Challenge, a Porsche Cup race among other things. Exclusive parking for SRF's will be reserved for series participants near the Pro Drive facility. The SRF's will be featured in a 45 minute race on Sunday afternoon with many spectators and even some TV coverage. While in Oregon, you could take the opportunity to visit downtown Portland. It is known for its great downtown many good restaurants and locally crafted beer. (In fact, you can even take light rail from at the track right to downtown Portland). 8-)

I hope that you would consider participating in the series, it should be a lot of fun. I know it is still two months away if you are thinking about attending this will give you some time to think it over and plan accordingly. Several SFR people have already committed to attending, so I hope you will consider running the series at Laguna and Portland. :D
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
Next

Return to General Discussions