Sebring Report?

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 pm
Okay - Sunday Report.

We were the first group out at 8am for our qualifying session - clear with temps around 50 - low humidity. In other words - ideal for going fast. And things were back to normal with Brian on the pole by about a second. Top 10 on the grid:
1) Schofield (2:31.3)
2) Galloway
3) Stanley
4) Donovan
5) Charbonneau
6) Anspach
7) Youngsma
8) Morrison
9) Polk
10) Mark Vultaggio

Note that Thomas was back in the car that he wrecked at the Annis-Gore-Anspach Memorial Dent on Saturday (albeit with borrowed bodywork). The PM guys had the car back together by about 7:30 on Saturday evening.

Our race started at 3pm under Chamber of Commerce skies and temps around 80. The start was clean and the race ran it's full distance with no FCY's (unlike Saturday). Brian's clutch started getting soft around lap 3 or 4 so he was struggling with gear shifts. Andrew was running with a new gearbox and he also suffered with some difficulty shifting. At any rate - Brian took the win by a couple 10ths over Andrew while Thomas brought it home in 3rd a couple seconds back. Richie and Chad (aka the Bobsy Twins) held down 4th and 5th. Shawn was 6th followed by Dave Donovan, me, Mark Vultaggio, and Chris Current.

In my case, I qualified 11th, right behind the NE crowd (Youngsma, Morrison, Polk, and Vultaggio). Managed to work my way past Polk and Vultaggio, then fought with Randy for a couple laps until he went a bit too deep in Turn 1 which let me sneak by on the inside (btw - Sebring's Turn 1 has been changed fairly significantly by a pit wall extension that was added to increase the number of pit stalls for the 12 Hour. The entry is considerably narrower than it used to be - and the corner is 7 or 8 mph slower.).

I could see Dave and Shawn just ahead when I got by Randy but could only hang on about 2 or 3 seconds back. Mark Vultaggio managed to work his way out of the Yougsma, Polk, and Current battle and worked his way up to me. The two of us fought over 8th and 9th for the last 5 laps or so. He got by me into the hairpin with 2 to go and I got back by him on the Uhlmann on the final lap. Very good clean racing with both Mark and Randy - I enjoyed it a lot. Happy to run with them any time.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 pm
Sebring was a blast.

Great weather for racing and great competition. Usual Sebring results, the fast guys are just that, fast. Working from 12th to 6th on saturday and then 10th to 9th on sunday, I got to race hard with a lot of the guys and it was really a lot of fun. Super clean and the car looks more like it was an open wheel car (no marks) than the usual "cosmetically altered" model I usually come home from a big race like sebring. Nice to put them back in the trailer in one peice. Lee drove a great race and took his position back from me on the last turn of the last lap. Good stuff. Randy was really quick but his engine was definitely on its way out. Watch out for him next year. With a new motor, the ice racer cometh....
Mark
Dinosaur Racing

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:25 pm
Trey,

Beau has both of our cars in his shop for sale. If you decide to buy he knows all about the cars.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 pm
Owen, don't buy a car. You might not regret it but Beau will.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm
Then again, sometimes former renters become full-prep customers.
Previous

Return to General Discussions