Ramblings from Mn

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:36 pm
I think that we would all agree there isn’t much going on in the world of racing in December and very little being tossed around on this web site. So thought I would share something with those of you who were early Trans Am fans. I became interested in racing in 69 and 70 because of Trans Am racing. I owned a 1965 Mustang and was always a Mustang fan.

However in 1970 I purchased a Z28. My father in-law was a Chevy dealer. While I was waiting for it to be built, he called me one day and asked if I would be interested in adding large front and rear spoilers to the car for $90. Chevrolet had called him and said they had to sell 500 of them so they could use them for SCCA Trans Am racing. I said sure, not knowing anything about how they would look. I had been to BIR in 69 and had planned on going back in 1970 along with Road America. The thought of being a part of Trans Am racing history never crossed my mind, but in a way I was able to do that for only $90.

Well my wife and I went to the races, but for obvious reasons I was a closet Mustang fan. The truth is, I always wanted a Boss 302.

In the 90’s I had a chance to buy a recently restored Boss 302 and because I needed to actually drive the car, I bought a Mitz 3000 GT Twin Turbo. What a mistake!

Last April I read that Ford was bringing back limited Production Boss 302’s. My daughter had a M3 and was looking to trade. Knowing I couldn’t buy one, I suggested the Boss 302 and she bit. We started looking for one and because they are limited production all the dealers wanted big bucks. The Minneapolis dealers were only getting a handful and they laughed when I approached them to buy one. In June I found a dealer in Dallas and we made a deal on a Friday. My daughter and I flew out the next day and drove it home.

Little did we know what came with it. A Boss 302 car cover was one item. Also Ford is giving all new owners a free track day and we are going there in August. The car is truly outstanding! For Christmas they sent a package to my daughter and in there were several items. One is a key chain with her Boss 302 number on it. Her car is #506. They also sent two great Pictures along with a new book. Talk about good marketing!

If you are a Mustang lover, I suggest you pick up this book. It’s hard copy and has over 150 pages of the history of the Boss 302 Mustang. It covers among other things the early days of Tran Am racing and pictures of many of the races including BIR (The Old Donnybrook). It also covers SCCA regulations etc. The title of the book is Mustang Boss 302 From Legend to Modern Muscle Car by Donald Farr with help from Parnelli Jones. It also covers the history of the new Boss. Parnelli was always my favorite driver! Hope I didn’t bore you all, but the cold weather up in Mn does funny things for it’s residents. Pat
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:41 am
Congrats on the new purchase!

The guys over at the GT-RaceCar forum would LOVE this story!
Ken Grammer
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm
Pat - I'm glad you found one, but you should have called me. I could have made your search a lot simpler and my deals are always much better than the guy who drives that silver and blue 88 car :mrgreen:
John Greene
SeDiv #29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:20 pm
I'm looking at one right now in our showroom if anyone out there is in the market!

ps- I'm the guy in the Silver and Blue car :D
Attachments
boss302.JPG
(105.22 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 pm
In 1969-70 while in the US Army vacationing in S. Vietnam I had all the car and hot rod magazines and daydreamed about getting a Boss 302 when I came home. But I couldn't afford the Boss so I got a 67 Mustang Fastback. When the announcement came out about the new Boss 302 I zipped down and got in line for one. Mine arrived this past July and it is a lot of fun. With the Trackey it is more bang for the buck than any other much higher priced sports car.

I got the regular Boss rather than the Laguna (without a backseat) because my grandkids wanted to take rides. I baby it and keep it covered inside my garage inside my enclosed air conditioned/heated area for my spec racer.

You can bet anything it will never be allowed to be near Denny for fear of getting dirty inside and out!!!

But any other racing friends can drive it anytime I bring it to a track.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:32 am
Ugh what am I, Pigpen?!?!

Don't answer that.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 pm
John, I actually thought about giving you a call. My first thought was what was the chances you would have one available and my 2nd was the distance to pick it up. Kind of set a max of 1,000 miles and it ended up being 916. Unlike many, we drive this one. We already have 9000 miles on it and just plain love the car. I have only seen one other one on the street and people who know about the history of the boss love to look at it. I stopped into a hardware store and this young guy working there asked if he could take a picture of it. He knew nothing about the car but liked the stripes. It's race red with Black and the sound by itself is worth the money. Glad I didn't cause a family feud down under. If they come out with a boss 429 my phone # is 651-303-2670
Ha!

Return to General Discussions