BFGoodrich Tires COTA Super Tour

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm
I sent a request to that effect as soon as I read the supps earlier today. I suspect it's unlikely to change but it never hurts to ask.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 pm
Every group is going to be big, Paul. You can request all you want, but expect nothing as LSR has never run an event of this size, and will be stressed so be kind. Note in the supps that you may be called on to help...

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 pm
I sure hope I can help in any way possible. I intend to sell some friends and family into servitude as well :-)

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
11&245
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am
Anybody see this little "GEM"?

VI. Paddock
A. Competitor paddock parking may be assigned by the Paddock Marshall.
B. Only rented garages assigned by Registration may be used. Assignment sheets will be posted in the garages, the Tech area and Registration. Each garage has enough room for 4-6 cars and will be rented as a single unit for $500. Drivers wishing a single car space within a garage must coordinate with other drivers to rent a garage unit.
C. Absolutely No fueling vehicles in the garage!
[b]D. Drivers shall be held financially responsible for any damage they cause to COTA property. (e.g.: guard rails @ $25/ft, asphalt $500/sq ft, fencing @ $15/ft, etc.).
E. Maximum speed limit in the paddock is 10 mph.
F. The use of any wheeled conveyances is a privilege and may be withdrawn at the discretion of the Chief Steward. Improper use may be penalized. Only licensed drivers may operate a motorized vehicle in the paddock. No skateboards, rollerblades, etc. allowed.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm
Yeah Dave, I saw it and sort of laughed (& sort of groaned)

Upon further reflection...

I figure that since it is an F1 track, there is a lot of gravel to get through before you get to a guardrail

And as for the pavement, wasn't sure if they meant only in the paddock (might want to take photos of your spot before setting up) or if they meant the track, too.

If they mean the track, does that mean I'm going to get a bill if I spin and leave nasty black marks, or only if my car burns to the ground and melts the Tarmac... :)

Rod

P.S. I hope other tracks don't get wind of this. The track manager gets really upset at Thunderhill if we go through certain areas and get rocks on the track...

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm
I did a track day event at COTA last Sunday and the rules for it were the same. The shocking potential expense is for the "air fence" @ $1000 per linear foot!!!

It is a long way from the track in most areas to find a fence or wall and there is a lot of paved run off areas to scrub speed. And I speak from experience as I spun twice in the esses leaving some nice black marks across the pretty, painted asphalt run off. I have not received a bill...yet!

The track is amazing and quite challenging for me but it was an absolute blast to drive.
-Scott
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm
It's pretty typical for the club to get charged for that kind of stuff. Maybe they just want to make sure everybody knows what the potential bill is.

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:03 pm
Scott,

Since you mentioned doing a track day, can I ask who you did it with and how much it cost?

Thanks,

Rod S

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm
It was through The Drivers Edge (www.thedriversedge.net) and they charged $375/day. Got 4 (30 minute) sessions which was about 12 laps per session. I was surprised that there were not more race cars out there getting practice for March, but since the event sold out in about 10 hours I don't think a lot of people knew about it.

The event was a roller coaster ride for The Drivers Edge - they signed the contract with COTA, a few days later COTA cancelled the contract and announced that there would be no DE groups allowed on the track (ever), lots of public outcry followed, COTA changed their minds and decided to honor the 4 contracts they had signed. They have since announced that they will re-evaluate DE events after the 4 groups have completed their events and then decide if they will continue allowing track day events.
-Scott

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 pm
I've done several other events with The Drivers Edge and they run a first class operation.
-Scott
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions