2011 Runoffs Top Three Engines Graph

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 pm
Hey Erik:

Years ago, after going through this exercise, I remember you said something like, "I'm surprised how much these cars are losing due to friction/rolling resistance." I took that to mean you had some maintenance tips. When I asked if you could share them, you said "when I'm not so busy."

Got time? You could keep us busy this winter!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:42 am
Jerry A. wrote:Maybe those curves should be posted on the "Spec" Miata blog site along with the Enterprises list price for a rebuilt motor. Ohhhhh!!!!! ;)

Don't do it ! The Miata guys will get all weepy again !!!
Last edited by John Walsh on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am
If these graphs are on the same scale, shouldn't HP and torque intersect at 5,252 rpm? Looks more like they intersect at 5,100...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am
John Walsh wrote:
Jerry A. wrote:Maybe those curves should be posted on the "Spec" Miata blog site along with the Enterprises list price for a rebuilt motor. Ohhhhh!!!!! ;)

Don't do it ! The Miata guys will get all weepy again !!!

Definitely don't. The SM guys will whine that we are trying to profit at their expense and recruit from them. Then John and I will have to defend you guys in the next SCCA BoD meeting, and that's aways a tough sell :lol:

Todd Butler
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 pm
Bob is correct...

When I go back from the .pdf to the original file and excel graph there was an error...the first two "x axis category labels" are EngSpd and RPM...pushing the numbers over two columns. The graph goes to 6000 rpm in actuality.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 pm
Duhhh wrote:Hey Erik:

Years ago, after going through this exercise, I remember you said something like, "I'm surprised how much these cars are losing due to friction/rolling resistance." I took that to mean you had some maintenance tips. When I asked if you could share them, you said "when I'm not so busy."

Got time? You could keep us busy this winter!

I will talk with Mike, the FAQ list is long and not really getting any priority. But that would be a top 5 list of items to share.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 pm
Erik,
Well the data speaks for itself, so no need to comment on the awesomeness. :)
One thing that would be nice... and I don't *think* it would be secret info, I'm open to being corrected ... is if we could see the AFR curve overlayed on the graph. That would give us all a baseline AFR to work from for safety's sake. With the new AFPR's and wildy varying gas, the info (IMO) would be marginally helpful I think for power, but perhaps very helpful to people in saving their engines from an early death.
Thanks,
Denny

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am
Sorry for the dumb question, but are the graphs the result of testing the engines as they came out of the cars, or do they all get rebuilt after the runoffs and you are posting where they are after their fresh rebuilds? I am sure most guys out there know the answer to this. I don't.

Mark Vultaggio
81 Dinosaur Racing
Mark
Dinosaur Racing

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 am
Looks like chassis dyno...?

H.(wait...these engines can be removed?)B.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 pm
As raced!!! Engine dyno...normally we kill the numbers when we show graphs, so DO NOT compare to anything you know (engine OR chassis dyno). We are at 5800 feet and only care about tiny changes engine to engine.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions