2011 Runoffs Top Three Engines Graph

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am
With this scale it is not really easy to see...but it is getting REALLY boring to do this most years...

Both of the last two years at least one of the engines was mid window (althought with the new window that is less than 1 hp different). Anything that is out of the window gets brought back in (generally a small improvement can happen still after our break in and dyno). It's your reward for a Runoffs Podium!

http://sccaenterprises.com/updates/SRF% ... 0graph.pdf

remember 4000 to about 5500 is the usable range...at least that is where Mike D sets "lug" and "shift you fool" lights on his car...
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 pm
Hi Erik,

Could you share the precise peak horsepower and torque numbers and associated rpm levels for all three engines? Very impressive how close the three engines are.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm
new guy question, so when I look at the graphs, what is the appropriate shift point? If you were using a shift light, where would you set it? thanks Frank

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:remember 4000 to about 5500 is the usable range...at least that is where Mike D sets "lug" and "shift you fool" lights on his car...
-Scott
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:54 pm
FrankValente wrote:new guy question, so when I look at the graphs, what is the appropriate shift point? If you were using a shift light, where would you set it? thanks Frank

Starting in 2012, SRF rookies are limited to 3,500 RPM until they get their Regional Licenses. :roll:

You hear a lot of folklore on this, and the curves tell the story. Winding it out to redline is not, itself, a way to find more power. But it might put you onto a better part of the HP/TQ curve when you get into the next gear.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm
Peter,

I am afraid I need to pass...because someone somewhere, on a different dyno, at a different altitude, would compare. Apples and Cucumbers!

Frank,

Shifting...the lug at 4000 is a good deal...when I drive Mikies car I see it a lot if I am not careful; that is bad. The 5500 is intended to be a light he does not regularly see, I think 5300 - 5400 is his hot spot, but there are also parts of tracks that you will take it higher...the engine does not hate it...it HATES missed shifts.

Overall, the newer engines that have had the torque peak set to a common RPM all look just like these motors. Some on the past where "Torquers" or "Revers"...no longer.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:10 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:Peter,

I am afraid I need to pass...because someone somewhere, on a different dyno, at a different altitude, would compare. Apples and Cucumbers!

No problem.

I figured the absolute numbers would be impacted by differences in altitude and other factors. I was hoping the shapes of the curves might be more robust, i.e. the rpm levels corresponding to the horsepower and torque peaks might be comparable.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 pm
Peter,

Aside from the obvious CSR knowledge and support, you are always welcome to ask Mike Davies specific questions: mdavies at scca dot com. Usually best to cc your CSR, no sense in asking a good question and the answer not being known by both parties.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:31 pm
Erik, clearly you and Mike (along with Shannon and Jake) have screwed up the horsepower excuse!
Those curves are truely amazing and are just one of the reasons SRF is the best racing in racing!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 pm
Maybe those curves should be posted on the "Spec" Miata blog site along with the Enterprises list price for a rebuilt motor. Ohhhhh!!!!! ;)
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae
Next

Return to General Discussions