All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am
We had someone last year, I think they were told our region's computers couldn't handle it...
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm
Here is the link to the the San Francisco BoA. board-directors@sfrscca.org Let them know how you feel about no Majors event in our region. Cut and past the address to your email.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm
Lets just say, we worked really hard coordinating with National on this, received what we thought was tacit approval of our program in a format that would have worked for both National and for all of our SF Region racers, were all pretty jazzed we'd be able to do our Regional Opener as a Major-Rational, and just found out ourselves that it was denied. Go ahead and send an inquiry to the full Region Board if you like but I am (and we all are) as disappointed as you and in a pretty bad mood about this. The first obligation for anyone on a Region Board is to do what is right and in the best interests of that Region's members and in this case that also means to insure that club racing will continue to prosper in Northern California.
tony
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 pm
Tony, I for one totally understand that position and completely agree with it. Outside of our cars, I think the entires have been around 80 cars (less?) the past 4 years -- I just don't see where the "Major" would add enough entries to justify it compared to going with the Rational format.

Steve
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:10 pm
I just find this all embarrassing for the San Francisco Region (but not totally unexpected given the overall lack of support for National programs in the Region over the years and dropping of National weekends at Sears Point and Laguna). We have had this weekend as a National opener for years and gave up the opportunity to participate in what is intended to be the premier program for National racing going forward because we refuse to compromise on the Rational format for the season opener. There was an opportunity to make the race more relevant to out-of-region and out-of-division drivers, as potential future customers for our other premier events. I hear a lot about needing to attract more entries; I don't see how this decision is helping that cause. Maybe we're lucky that we have great tracks and people that can continue to support escalating costs, but I'm concerned that at some point in the future this myopic view will come back to haunt us.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm
what Bob said...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 pm
Well said Bob.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:50 pm
Actually, the Rationals give the region a chance to make money off of out-of-region drivers without having to compete with them.
Dave Harriman
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 am
dave wrote:3) local drivers who want to be competitive nationally have to give up the chance of a regional championship.

For our first Rational, we elected to not award points to both. It was a pretty major undertaking.

For 2013, we will be making it an option to earn points in Regional championship as well.

Brian
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 am
breton wrote:I hear a lot about needing to attract more entries; I don't see how this decision is helping that cause.

The Rational format is the most inclusive. The Sonoma Sprints was our largest field in ~5 years. If you're looking for big, competitive fields (which also pay the bills), the Rational is your format. It is also the closest to the 2014 future of 2-3 Majors events per Division per year. Remember, starting 2014, there are no "Nationals" or "Regionals", it's "just racing".

I'm a fan of the Majors and as Tony said, disappointed we weren't able to hold one this year. National came to us fairly late in our scheduling process with the opportunity and we attempted to make it work given the constraints we had already committed to (combining the season openers into a Rational). We were close in 2013 and I'm optimistic that we will make it work in 2014.

Brian
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions