Requesting help for an informational video project

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:04 pm
I'm fairly new to the group and haven't really posted. I know this forum isn't super active, but I'm asking for some assistance. And apologies in advance for this novel. I'm on my 3rd season as a spec racer now, I have lurked about and watched many of you from my position at the mid-to-back of the field. I've raced in SCCA a couple races each season and raced much more at my local track (Hallett, in the monthly COMMA series). I've admired how stinking good the skills are in this class. I've gotten better but still a borderline rolling chicane for some of you. By some circles I'm considered an average racer and in SRF I'm not even close. Which is exactly one of the reasons I love it. You get good by racing against the best of the best on a fair playing field. I'm annoying about how much I love the car and the racing. I've wanted to race for 50 years, have finally done various forms of road racing for around 15 years, and I really wish I would have discovered the "easy button" earlier. Anyway, I finally made it here and am a complete convert.

There are so many reasons why I truly believe this is the best everyman race car on the planet. Speed/Value/Safety/Durability/Competition/Fairness/Repairability, etc. etc.... And of course I'm completely preaching to the choir here. I don't care what the "Similar Miata" folks say, that series is fine, but the SRF is better. To each his own, but I'm never getting beaten because somebody outspent me. Period. I don't know where else you can say that.

Here's what I would like to do. I would like to make a YouTube video or two. I'd like to include the history of the SR, SRF, SRF3, SRF3-Sadev, and the soon to be SRF4. Detail some of the major changes over the years. Talk about the kits, parts system, SCCA Enterprises, the CSR's and the privateers. Go over the general details and mechanicals of the car, and the idea of the spec car and sealed drivetrain. And probably do another "top 10" type list of why this is the best car around. #changemymind!

All of the time when people find out that I race, they ask me "what do you race?" It used to be easier to explain when it was a Mustang, Porsche, Nissan, etc. I usually try to get off easy and just say "it's a sports car and they're all the same so the competition is terrific", but true gearheads won't ever let it go at that. (I wouldn't!) James Chartres at Kanga Motorsports has some really good YouTube videos and a website, but I'd like to add to the information out there. I made a video a few years ago about the basics of our local track and it has gotten a surprising amount of views, so people must find it useful. I think people would find this useful as well, and I could just send all the interested people I meet to the online video to explain it all. The Wikipedia SRF article is good, but not very detailed and those articles are always limited and difficult to edit. I've done so with other topics and it's a major project. I have no motive for making this video other than educating people and maybe turning on other people to the "best kept secret" racecar around. I wish I would have discovered it sooner, and I wish a resource like I'm describing would have been out there when I was searching about.

Any takers with information or who would like to help? I'd love for people to send me resources, pics of their cars to put in the video, any other articles with information. I've got quite a bit of knowledge and information from scouring the internet and from gabbing at the track with everyone, but duplicates never hurt. I would even be great with people writing the article/script as a shared document. And if someone else prettier/smarter/better at videos wants to make the video I'm not offended. I just want this video out there.

Reply here or email me at brent.steward(at)gmail !
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:50 pm
If I were you. I'd reach out to our Technical Director - Mike Davies. He is a longtime racer, past national champion and SCCA Enterprises employee. As such, he probably has a lot of the background information you would need.

There are also plenty of folks still racing with us who were in it from the "early days." I'm not one of them, so don't have much to personally add.

Good luck!
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:08 pm
I recommend to contact Munn Bros. They have prepared lots of info/data. Including the SR

www.mummbrothers.com

Return to General Discussions