Left foot braking arrangement

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:48 pm
Just thinking about my future Sadev setup and since it is a no clutch shift gearbox (hopefully?!?!) would it be legal to arrange the brake pedal to the left of the steering column.
If not legal, how to make it legal?
Would somebody know if there is a strong reason why Scca would not want to make it legal?
I am coming from kart racing, where we left foot brake.

Thanks.
svenmueller_77

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:00 pm
I think somebody asked in another thread and the answer was no. Can’t change a spec part like the pedal mounting. I can say I had no problem left foot braking even without changing the pedals a bit. My problem was mostly with overlapping brake and gas which makes it impossible to shift correctly. The upside is pretty small compared to what you get just from going to the sequential and the downside is very high if you make any mistakes.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:53 am
Currently no you cannot change it. In future there might be something but for now nope. As a reason why?......because there are still many with the H Pattern. How would an assembly work for them? Need to be on even ground. And honestly we took away the skill of heel toe, let's not take away this skill/decision. Make drivers have to choose if they will left foot brake etc
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:14 pm
What rule would be broken by moving the pedal set left?

Mechanically, there could be interference issues between the dead pedal and clutch. The throttle would be all the way to the right and your feet wide be pretty widely spaced. I suppose you could move the throttle left as well if the stance is uncomfortable.

I'm running the SADEV and left foot brake with the pedal set as-is. (size 8 1/2 feet) It's a little weird having both legs pointed to the right, but it seems to work OK.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
880-2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:16 pm
It is possible, though I don't know if it is legal, to remove the dead pedal and move the entire pedal assembly to the left, putting the brake pedal to the left of the steering shaft.

It does require drilling new mounting holes in the chassis, though the pedal assembly itself remains unaltered.
I have no idols. I admire work, dedication, and competence - Senna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 pm
I have moved my pedals over to the left and now exclusively left-foot brake. It doesn't require modification of anything other than redrilling holes in the pedal crossmember. You move things to the other side of the steering shaft, drill two holes, boom. Done. Have a few teammates in the shop who have done likewise. It is a driver comfort item, you are not technically modifying anything. Not a performance modification. I'm not going to speak out of turn and name names, but folks at Enterprises have seen it, are fine with it and I have passed tech. I absolutely love it, it has taken my mediocre driving skills and made them...well, still mediocre. :P I just trained myself any time I spin (never happens..right?) to push in the clutch quickly to avoid a stall, and on the cooldown lap I just flip a "mental switch" to move my feet over and right foot brake so I don't do something stupid in the paddock. Pro tip, unbolt the crossmember from the frame and move it up, and you'll also have to take some of the pedal bolts out so you have some room to drill. Easy peasy mod. Easy to switch back if you don't like it.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:06 am
Dr. Hoon, et.al.
I encourage you to read our GCR starting page 613 concerning our class. Last line of the first paragraph reads: "No modifications may be made to any part or system unless specifically permitted in these rules."
The intent of our class is we are all the same except for allowances stated in the GCR. I have heard and read over the years that guys will say, " well it doesn't say I can't, so I guess I can..."
Years ago I was racing my SR at Summit Point and I noticed one competitor had an adjustable brake bias in his car. Believe it or not, at that point in time, we were not permitted to have one. So I asked him about it and he stated, " Everyone knows here that I have it and they know I won't use it during a race so it's ok." I said it is NOT ok and If he races with it in his car, I will protest him. He disconnected it and I hope he had it removed.
You admit here you have modified your brake pedal system and you may be protested at your next race. Doesn't matter what position you end up in or how mediocre you are.
Please stick to our rules - it is partly what makes our class one of the best in SCCA.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:29 pm
My two cents: what Mark said....

markfick wrote:Dr. Hoon, et.al.
I encourage you to read our GCR starting page 613 concerning our class. Last line of the first paragraph reads: "No modifications may be made to any part or system unless specifically permitted in these rules."
The intent of our class is we are all the same except for allowances stated in the GCR. I have heard and read over the years that guys will say, " well it doesn't say I can't, so I guess I can..."
Years ago I was racing my SR at Summit Point and I noticed one competitor had an adjustable brake bias in his car. Believe it or not, at that point in time, we were not permitted to have one. So I asked him about it and he stated, " Everyone knows here that I have it and they know I won't use it during a race so it's ok." I said it is NOT ok and If he races with it in his car, I will protest him. He disconnected it and I hope he had it removed.
You admit here you have modified your brake pedal system and you may be protested at your next race. Doesn't matter what position you end up in or how mediocre you are.
Please stick to our rules - it is partly what makes our class one of the best in SCCA.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae

Return to General Discussions