Schroth SHR Flex Head and Neck Restraint

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:04 pm
New to SRFs and curious as to what others are using for H&N restraints. In the past I have used a 20 degree HANS for sedan racing. It appears that a 30 degree unit is best given the seatback angle of a SRF. I was looking at the Schroth Flex model, as I may jump into a sedan from time to time in addition to the SRF.

Anyone else using this device with their SRF and what is your opinion?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:41 pm
FWIW I started in BMW club racing so I brought a 20 with me to SRF and it’s been fine. If you’re over 6 foot and need to lay down more to pass the broomstick you might want the 30

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:36 pm
Last year I bought a Zampf Z series 2A at VIR. Fully adjustable neck width and angles. Price is around $275.00 and has nice tethers. If you have an older Butler head surround it is tight getting in/out of car but with the newer style head surround is not an issue. I use this my SRF3 and FE2. Good unit w/o braking the bank.
Jim Regan

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:38 pm
You may want to look at Neckgen. They have a low profile. Plus it has a wide neck opening should have a need
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm
I use a 20 degree hans I mange it. I really like to try a 30 degree but no one has one around. With our group we have a wide range for what people are running. Now this one is the most expensive Hans but I tried the Stilo Hans at PRI and wow it is amazing. It is designed for 30 degrees but can be used at 20 too. The back yoke is cut really high so it doesn't rest on your neck like most others do and risk injury there.

One person tried the Zamp but he was shoehorned into the car so that was out immediately, another and top national driver runs the Neckgen. The one thing I do not like about some of these is no option for FIA rating. Technically FIA rating you don't need to send in for Recertification. Also I am really a fan of the hans Post Anchors and not others brands styles or even quick release due to the cord dangling all around too. If they offered in that attachment type I would be more interested.

One had someone run the Flex and they hated it. I am not sure if they have upgraded the padding but it was super uncomfortable for him. Now remind you he is a very skinny person with no "meat" on his bones so mileage could vary.

One that has become very popular has been the Simpson Hybrid. Think there were 3 or 4 running one just this past weekend. I tried one on, it was too big a size of course but I liked it. He offered to let me run it but as it was the bigger size I thought against it. It felt very natural to wear but was also a bit odd with the belts directly in contact with me now. Getting in and out with on was rather easy. I put my Hans on when I am in the car.

I am not sure if I made your situation worse by giving you more options. Yet here they are as I too have been trying to think how to get more comfortable in the car and as a reminder about safety as we had a decent incident this weekend, and others classes oh boy.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:17 pm
TrackBrat:

Thanks for the reply, very informative. I went with the Schroth Flex, should be delivered next week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:25 pm
I haven’t actually used one in an SRF (never yet driven an SRF - going to start this summer), but used a Schroth SHR Flex for a Skip Barber Formula 4 3-day class at COTA last year and liked it . . . So that is what I have purchased for myself as part of all the driver equipment I have purchased to get started with SRFs.

Please let us know what you think after using it.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:28 pm
Small threadjack: how did you like the skippy cars at COTA? I thought it might be fun to do sometime
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:39 am
I've got a Butler seat in my SRF and the 20 degree HANS is fine for me. Think it depends somewhat on how big a head (and therefore how big a helmet) you've got. Haven't tried the Schroth, but I've got to say, the quickness of HANS's so-called "quick-release" tethers is... dubious at best, though it doesn't matter in this car.

Chassis:
SR 311
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm
Don't know if you've already bought or not, I have a SHR Flex that I run in mine with the original fiberglass seat, its quite comfortable. I was originally planning on running a laydown F500, and bought it for the same reason of versatility with endurance cars.
Next

Return to General Discussions