E-85

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:38 pm
I'm running my Gen. 2 as a track car has anybody thought about going E85 I'd be interested if anybody's done that
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:12 pm
High ethanol content fuels like E85 will corrode some of the fuel injection fittings overtime as the GEN 2 engine was designed and produced during a period in the late Eighties when there was little or no E85 fuel available.

Use premium 93 octane unleaded and you'll be better off.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:35 am
If you can get 5 gallons of regular gas to run through it afterward, you might be fine running e85 for a weekend at a time, but I don't know how well the ECU will adapt to it. Might have to play with fuel pressure.
I definitely wouldn't keep it in the car for very long since I suspect our cars aren't as good at keeping moisture out as a modern street car. For that matter storing it in vented jugs past the weekend could be an issue. I'd get one of those water test kits to see the quality of the gas you get and if it picks up moisture very quickly.
I'm curious, are you doing this as a sustainability thing, because you can get it cheap, because they'll give you sponsorship, or just plain curiosity? My truck is built to run e85 but I've never actually seen any in the south.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:58 pm
I run E85 in my 74 Pinto 2L I have ran it for many years..
There were a few changes to the car tank,fuel lines and e85 carb parts. I never had any issues carb was always spotless . the out side of the rubber fuel line in the tank did get sticky to the tuch (it was in the fuel for about 4 years)
IT is nice to run a renewable resource . the Exhaust smells good. And of course the price point is cheap.

Return to General Discussions