AiM MXL -type dash

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:52 pm
Anyone have experience with the larger AiM dashes like the MXS, MXG, MXP, MXL2 ? Most dash displays I've seen on the SRF are quite small. Wonder if anyone has and likes these bigger dashes / has encountered any issues with them. One of the guys I run with has one but I don't have his contact info.

I have trouble seeing the data on the smaller dashes, especially the older ones with poor contrast/backlight. I'm looking to replace an AiM Mychron3. I really like the new TFT dashes that AiM has.

I do have a cut top Momo steering wheel that should help with seeing things on dash.

Thanks!
-Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:42 pm
I installed an MXP for username Hongisto on this board, you might PM him for opinions on visibility and size. Other cars I regularly deal with have an EVO5 with GS-Dash, older MXL-2s and Solo2-DLs. If you are buying new, the MXP, MXG 1.2 and MXS 1.2 are a newer more capable architecture.

There are printable full-size templates PDF files of each unit on the aim website so you can try them in your car. (Just don't re-scale from A4 size to letter size paper)

PM with questions.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:30 pm
MXL2 was definitely a big step up over the MXL in contrast and text size, plus the programmable shift lights are great.
Still I usually only see the shift and alarm lights unless I actively tilt my head down to get the text area in my visor. As I sit in the car and the size of the port on my helmet, the only way to do better would be to run a wheel with no top and mount the dash almost in the wind.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:08 am
Here's a screenshot of the MXL2 with cut-off steering wheel. The camera shot is over-the-shoulder and the view through the helmet is a lot better. All the shift lights are lit up.
Attachments
MXL2 Dash.png
MXL2 Dash.png (170.81 KiB) Viewed 11370 times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:07 pm
Jisu Kim wrote:Here's a screenshot of the MXL2 with cut-off steering wheel. The camera shot is over-the-shoulder and the view through the helmet is a lot better. All the shift lights are lit up.

Thanks for this. I watched a couple of your onboards on YT . Looks like you made a bracket for it? I may need to move some of my dash items around to make room or make a bracket that makes some extra room. Did you have to rearrange any gauges/lights?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:23 pm
Thanks Charlie and pmiranda for your responses. That's a great tip about the printable templates .

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:15 pm
No bracket. There used to be a Stack 8100 in that space. I'm cheap so I riveted a 1/16 plate one top of the hole left by the Stack. The plate had a cut-out for the Aim. No other rearrangement was needed on my dash.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:45 pm
I've had the original MXL in my dash for years. It'x mounted over the opening previously occupied by the tach. I can see the shift lights clearly, as well as the most important information (water/oil) and predictive timing. Standard Spec Racer steering wheel, mounted as high as possible without altering the standard aluminum dash. Dash alarms set up for when my attention is needed (especially voltage drop and temperature rise!) I sit relatively low in a Butler seat so that helps with line-of-sight to the dash. Like the size of the info on the dash compared to other AIM Dashes, though I would appreciate the greater contrast of the newer displays compared to the original MXL. The MXL2 would a tempting replacement since it appears to have much higher contast than the original. The new SW4 looks pretty cool, but hard to justify the price...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
880-2
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 pm
My recommendations for a dash for a Spec Racer would be the Aim MXM. While it's smaller than the MXL, It allows you to set the size of the text displayed so it would actually be larger than on the MXL. It has a programmable shift and warning lights and it's half the price of on MXL and almost a third the price of an MXP, MXG, or MXS. The MXM also allows you to have multiple pages with different information.

Tips: For racing, I have my dash to display ALL important information as lights.
I have a coolant light that is blue when the engine is cold, off when the temperature is normal, orange when high, red when very high, flashing when it's time to pull over.
I also have shift lights, predictive timer lights (one light per tenth (green for positive red for negative))

I can run the entire race without looking at what the dash says. Just watching lights from my peripheral vision. I total session time and best lap on my "Race" page.
I have no idols. I admire work, dedication, and competence - Senna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:00 am
Thank you Bob and Noah. Bob - the SW4 IS cool. I would love to see someone running that in the SFR region. Good to know the MXL works for you. I may get the MXL2 so if I do, I'll let you take a look, I am running in the SFR region too.
Noah - thanks for your tips. Pretty awesome to set all that up with the lights. I drove a SRF with the MXM and it seemed pretty great. I just like the bigger dash with ability to see more without switching screens. But still considering the MXM.
Next

Return to General Discussions