Runoffs restrictor...?

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:24 pm
I saw this in the 2021 Runoffs Supps...

9.20. All Spec Racer Ford 3 cars will be required to run a throttle body restrictor plate produced and supplied by SCCA Enterprises (at no charge). The throttle body restrictor plate must be used as delivered for all qualifying sessions and race. Available on‐site only from SCCA Enterprises.

Is this something new beyond what was supplied with the GEN3 engine?

Jim

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 pm
Certainly sounds like something new, or at least replacement of a plate that we might already have with one they provide... now I'm gonna have to go out to the garage to look :)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:22 pm
There is no "restrictor plate" currently used. Interesting that the restrictor plates won't be made available in advance of the Runoffs (or is in the official parts catalog) so I assume they're doing this to disrupt engine "tuning". My asssumption is that there's concern about potential "creativity" in the field around the throttle body or intake manifold (porting/polishing/enlarging?) or they're trying to throw off some of the potential for "tuning" affecting performance (e.g. AF ratio).

IMHO, an alternative approach, that they used in the Gen2 days, is to simply provide a fresh ECU to all drivers (locked down with a password only known by Enterprises) and lock-down the O2 sensor calibration. Pre-event dyno runs would be nice to have, as well, to identify any "outliers".

Or, they've decided to allow SRF2's to run and are throttling down the Gen3's to equalize performance... ;-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:03 am
wondering how much that restrictor plate is related to the June sprints throttle body inspection.
svenmueller_77
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm
Robey told me it was to make sure everyone was equal. So, I guess some of our competitors have been more equal than others up to this point ... ;)
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:07 pm
Curious about the comment on the June Sprints - can you elaborate?

IMHO, the Runoffs "solution" appears to skirt around the lack of transparency on the "problem" (if one actually exists). If a throttle body restrictor is necessary to "equalize" the field, then it should be mandated as a rule for the entire class, not just as a "one-off" for the Runoffs, so it can be enforced by Tech in the field. If it's an experiment, then it should be called out as such.

I hope, in the future, that Enterpises can be more forthcoming and transparent on the goals of these type of efforts, so all of us in the class have trust in the intended outcome, and have the information necessary in the field to manage non-compliance through the normal processes, not just in the Runoffs.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:48 pm
breton wrote:Curious about the comment on the June Sprints - can you elaborate?

IMHO, the Runoffs "solution" appears to skirt around the lack of transparency on the "problem" (if one actually exists). If a throttle body restrictor is necessary to "equalize" the field, then it should be mandated as a rule for the entire class, not just as a "one-off" for the Runoffs, so it can be enforced by Tech in the field. If it's an experiment, then it should be called out as such.

I hope, in the future, that Enterpises can be more forthcoming and transparent on the goals of these type of efforts, so all of us in the class have trust in the intended outcome, and have the information necessary in the field to manage non-compliance through the normal processes, not just in the Runoffs.

Mike Davies - any input on this? Why is this a thing? What specifically are people doing/not doing/allowing to happen that results in this action?

Ron

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:05 pm
for years folks, who should probably just focus on driving better, have ordered lots of intake manifolds, throttle bodies, etc. and had them dynoed or tested on flow benches. its probably more of an exact spec hole that is to a tighter tolerances than it is a a restrictor....

they did this at mid ohio runoffs one year...issued eveyone a new intake manifold
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am
breton wrote:Curious about the comment on the June Sprints - can you elaborate?

After the race on Sunday at the June sprints the top 25 or so got asked to remove their air box. Mike Davies went around and checked our cars throttle body with a round gauge. He also felt inside the throttle of my car to maybe check if I modified something what the gauge would not capture?
As far as I know, nobody got busted with a non confirming throttle body but that is just based on my observations. At least there was no drama in the park ferme.
I was positively surprised that during the race the top 5 racers' lap times were only about 2 seconds faster than my times. Knowing that I am not yet a very good driver I think that nobody had a "strong engine". :-)

The only really top speed faster guys were the SADEV people which I could not draft on the straights, they were just driving away........
svenmueller_77

Return to General Discussions