Sequential Gearbox Upgrade

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:58 pm
Is there anyone that can post an in-car video, with data overlay, racing with the new transmission?

Jim

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:17 pm
pmiranda wrote:A quick note: as far as I can tell the SADEV is a mechanical shifter, not fully electronic, so it will simply do what you tell it to, with no slow clutch release to save you from your mistakes. It's still completely possible to money-shift it if you push instead of pull for an upshift! The electronics are only there to help you shift by blipping or cutting throttle position to unload the transmission. They won't save you from a mistake. You also need to mindfully wait until you have slowed to downshift. If you're in the habit of changing gears as soon as you start braking, and delaying the clutch pedal release to make it work, you're 1) missing out on engine braking and 2) are forming a habit that can bend a valve with a sequential box.

Your concern about shift mistakes is well placed. My first-ever experience with a sequential was at a track I'm familiar with. I was, fortunately, shifting the SRF at conservative RPMs in the opening laps. At those places on the track where muscle memory says to push forward from 2 to 3, or 4 to 5, it is pretty easy to accidentally push instead of pull. The shift happens fast and there's no gradual clutch release to alert you and give you a chance to save it. That'll probably go away with time and experience, but it's clearly a risk. Given a choice between missing a shift with my manual and losing a couple seconds, vs missing a shift in a sequential and buying a new engine, I'm not highly motivated to change.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:43 pm
The two races I've attended with a mix of sadev and 5-speeds it appears the cars are quite compatible and I haven't seen a notable performance difference. I think we could probably run them together indefinitely if the parts hold out. Definitely not a Gen4 situation, more like the Wilwood brake update... nice, but nothing I consider essential. I'm still looking forward to the sadev, should be cool.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:28 am
I have been running the SADEV most of this year and am really impressed with how the car drives with it. It will be a game changer in reliability and ups the fun/cool factor. I still use the clutch and heal toe rev match on down shifts, hopefully they follow through with the new throttle body and add the auto blip on down shift. not possible with current throttle body. You don't have to use the clutch on down shifts but your technique needs to be spot on. Up shifts are foot on the floor and with your hair on fire so to speak. UP shifting fully loaded in the corners does not upset the car at all. I really feel that if they pick the optimized gear stack and get the fly by wire throttle body/ecu figured out, this will be one of the best race cars on the track. Amazing reliability and fun factor. I am hoping they make this car the best it can be even if they need to go to Gen 4. If they do, then the investment will be worth every penny, If they try to keep them the same it will be a unfortunate miss. If they do it correctly, it will be a much quicker car without increasing the top end speed.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:58 pm
Thanks for your response. Sounds great. Have been on fence about it as have two of the current transmissions. Any update on new throttle body and ECU?
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:18 pm
Does anyone know if the pedal box can be changed to left foot braking?

Of course you can left foot brake with the current setup but it is not really comfortable doing that.
I feel the clutch can move further to the left and the brake pedal should be somewhat further to the left , too.
svenmueller_77
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:33 am
Fuchsroehre, I've been wondering about that same thing. Mike Davies, what say you regarding pedal movement / use / interchangeability for clutch / brake and left foot use?

Doug

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
880-2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:09 pm
Currently rules only allow for the modification of the position of the throttle pedal and the 'dead' pedal.

Last month I put in a request to the CRB, for an amendment to the rules, to allow modification of the position of the clutch and brake pedals. It is currently listed as under consideration.
I have no idols. I admire work, dedication, and competence - Senna
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 pm
That's the way to do it.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:50 pm
Or make it so clutch is used on downshifting to keep some skill requirement. I know this isn't going to happen, but I just loved watching Sequential gearbox car pedal videos, if you watch ones like the Porsche Cup, it was just awesome since the cars could go through the gears so fast but you still had to blip.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions