Sequential Gearbox Upgrade

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:43 pm
I have made a post on the Spec Racer Ford Facebook page detailing as much of the information about this change as possible, and am happy to field questions to anyone who might have them. I'd prefer to answer questions publicly so I don't have to answer them multiple times, but am happy to talk to people with questions.

At this point, deposits are being accepted by SCCA-E at $1000 to save a spot for a first round of shipments in September of this year and a final cost of $12,500.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 pm
Link to the facebook post about this for anyone not on it already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3182720 ... 8074109234

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 pm
Can't post in the FB thread yet, so I'll ask here.. are you using an external gear display or just piping it into an AIM dash or the like?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:23 pm
Spec Racer Ford Facebook page? I didn't know there was such a thing. Why wasn't this information posted here on the forum instead?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:07 am
Looks like we’ll start seeing several of them amongst us at majors this season. I think it’s good to get real time comparisons and testing done, so I’m ok with that. Has a decision been made as to whether they will start in their qualifying spots or start the races from the back? Could we get some kind of designation on them so that people can be aware that shift points may differ? When there was only one or two it wasn’t a big deal, but might be something to think about if we start seeing 4-5 or more.
John Greene
SeDiv #29

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:01 am
john_greene wrote:Has a decision been made as to whether they will start in their qualifying spots or start the races from the back? Could we get some kind of designation on them so that people can be aware that shift points may differ? When there was only one or two it wasn’t a big deal, but might be something to think about if we start seeing 4-5 or more.

Good point. IIRC at the COTA pro race Davies started from the back in the prototype car and moved up from there pretty quickly, but he's also a good driver. I think he mostly tried to stay out of the race, but yeah, if you were drafting a car with the new box and expecting them to shift at a certain point, you might end up buying a new radiator, which is one thing when racing for position but just wasteful when it's for nothing.
Maybe a nice little SADEV sticker on the back? At speed all transmissions look about the same ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 am
As of right now we don't have a gear display, but the information has been sent to AIM to pipe the info through CAN to the display. I race motorcycles too so knowing what gear I'm in would be an unfamiliar luxury. Go down if your RPMS are low, go up if they're high.

Yeah, it's been slow for a while but I'm trying to get info out there so I shared it there. I'm not making announcements in any official capacity, but I'm trying to relay information as it's released so drivers aren't in the dark. I use facebook because I'm a millennial and it's what we use. As much as I hate Zuck, the formatting is excellent and a lot of people are on there. I'll try to share stuff here too more, it went further than I expected on FB.

Sadev drivers will start from their earned qualifying position, but will be moved to last in results and awarded no points. They can still qualify for the runoffs, but will have to switch back to the old trans for Indy.

I'll be bringing a car to Atlanta that has a sadev in it, and have a midpack customer car that will be running one. I didn't get my gearbox in time to get them both done, the shop is busy racing so my car is still sitting in a trailer from CotA. So I'll test our Sadev car a bit Friday to hopefully provide useful pointy end comparative data, but will be running a standard box in the race.

I'll see if we can't get some extra Sadev stickers there and put them on the back of the cars, but the Sadev boxes are distinctly black with silver machined finishes. They are re If you're close enough to worry about it, it might be recognizable. There is no significant interruption in power on a sequential upshift, so a bump draft situation shouldn't create any calamity.

At CotA Pro, Davies was running the sequential box AND the electronic throttle body. On Saturday it was restricted to emulate the standard TB, but went wide open on Sunday. Davies runs with the lead back at CotA with a standard transmission, but with the sequential and the bigger electronic throttle body at full tilt boogy, he chased us down from the back like wounded animals. There is a hangup at Performance Electronics getting the ECUs into mass production to accept the electronic throttle body so for now they'll still use the standard 1.9L TB. When the electronic TB is available it will be released for absolute low of cost as possible to make up for the delay.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:26 am
Can someone post the gear ratios and final drive? I assume that at this point there's no reason for them to be in "double secret probation"?

Also, why is this information coming from unofficial sources? Why hasn't there been a technical bulletin, an official memo from Enterprises, or even something on the SCCA-E website?

I'm grateful that my CSR forwarded the "CSR Call Report" and that Grayson has provided important information, but is that really the way that something as significant as this should be promulgated to all of the drivers? Shouldn't Enterprises have sent the "send in your check" notice to all the drivers at the same time? I realize that most of the driver's are in a CSR or a professional support shop's stable, but does that justify them getting the information before the drivers that aren't in those stables?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:46 am
Ed Cavalier wrote:Can someone post the gear ratios and final drive? I assume that at this point there's no reason for them to be in "double secret probation"?

Also, why is this information coming from unofficial sources? Why hasn't there been a technical bulletin, an official memo from Enterprises, or even something on the SCCA-E website?

I'm grateful that my CSR forwarded the "CSR Call Report" and that Grayson has provided important information, but is that really the way that something as significant as this should be promulgated to all of the drivers? Shouldn't Enterprises have sent the "send in your check" notice to all the drivers at the same time? I realize that most of the driver's are in a CSR or a professional support shop's stable, but does that justify them getting the information before the drivers that aren't in those stables?

It wasn't even supposed to be a done deal for the future. This year was initially just a testing and R&D and see if this is the direction it will go. It seems like that has now changed, but I do agree that more communication would be appreciated from the top.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:20 pm
Quite the leap from secret R&D testing to "send in your deposits". Zero info on scca-e.com (even the links to SRF only point to a "call your CSR link) with zero info on the product (guess marketing is following the SCCA model: the "Secret Car Club of America"!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions