Stationary white for tow vehicles on track?

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm
[quote="bmurphy210"]I will never forget Martin Thake's English accent telling everybody on the INDYCAR safety team's radio "Control, car # 6 has just run under the back of safety 1!!".

My story is a little different: Indy car Race at PIR. I was acting a one race Series Chief Steward for the Vintage F1 cars. As the result, TransAm was having sound reading issues. With most cars over the sound limit. The TransAm Chief Steward ask me to go solve the problem. ( to keep it all short ) My wife and I drove out the sound/ turn 9 flag station which is on back straight. I almost had to give one of family jewels away and told the sound judge I will take any blame should the City of Portland and DEQ come after Oregon Region SCCA. "But p l e a s e, Move that sound meter 50 feet back. He did.

CART had stationed a safety truck with us. The start of the Indy Lights had a accident on the front straight and I am assuming in Festival corners( T1, T2, or T3). Here comes the leaders at full chat, when all of a sudden CART Safety Truck pulls out onto the track. But the truck did not stay drivers left. It pulled out to the center of the track. Here is 5-6-8 Indy Lights at 160+mph... Yikes, Help, OH Nooooo!
Yup one the drivers leading was an Andretti's son or nephew. How they missed that truck was beyond me.
To cap it off, after the CART Safety Truck returned, the driver got out and asked if anyone had a pencil.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:23 pm
When I racing in FF years ago, at The Glen I was in a dice on the pit straight. I was so close to the guy in front of me I could read the "Hewland" on his gearbox cover. I popped right to pass and had the guy. Except for the safety vehicle right in front of me! I had just enough room to tuck back in. Phew! That's the last time I missed a white flag, boy howdy.
Previous

Return to General Discussions