WWTR St. Louis Super Tour May 30-31 2020 - Thank you

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 am
It was great to see my hometown track come alive again for a weekend, and many of the people who made it happen are on here, so, THANK YOU. It wasn't that long ago that I won an uncontested race at Gateway now known as Worldwide Technology Raceway; uncontested because I was the only Spec Racer running.

To everyone who showed up and made this event the biggest Gateway Spec Racer turnout since
I-Don't-Know-When, to the CSR's and crew who made the trek to an unfamiliar track with a reputation for being tough on equipment, everyone who made an effort to still do racecar stuff in spite of the craziness we are all living through, THANK YOU.

I could tell just from walking around the paddock and talking to some of our local race volunteers that this was a MASSIVE morale boost and a shot in the arm the Southern Illinois and St. Louis regions really needed. SRF's made up 15% of the total entries and helped fill the paddock to literally overflowing out behind the stands, a sight I've never seen before since I got my license at the Double School at Gateway coming up on 16 years ago. You guys did that. Thank you.
#795 (now with party power) - Rich W.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 am
The event was awesome and the racing was a ton of fun. You are way too fast at Gateway, Rich! Congrats on the double win. It felt great to be back at the track even though it was a little different with the social distancing and all.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:42 am
Thanks! I just watched your Saturday video I was dead in the water without that local yellow taking the pressure off, i needed a break to bring the tires back. You guys kept the pressure on the entire race both days and I had some lucky breaks, plus a few thousand laps is an unfair advantage ;) . Obviously I can't show up saturday morning (or Friday morning, or Thursday morning...) and do that anywhere else but it felt pretty awesome to do it for the home team. Grayson also has the setup pretty much nailed. We made a small bar change before Sunday's race between qualifying and the race to compensate for the drift-show I had on Saturday afternoon and the car was fantastic mid-race. First time in a long time I didn't feel like I was oiling my own tires after about 10 laps

That track went from a 100% patience and tire management track in the Goodyears/Gen2 to FULL SEND all the time in the Hoosier/Gen3. The afternoon grease-up is real when there's lots of sun in warmer weather, but in cool weather it's just an epic fun track to drive even by yourself, the car is always right on the limit of being able to stick down all of its power, and you're always busy, even on the front straight mentally preparing to not-crash in T1/T2. A really great match for these cars. I'm glad a bunch more people got to enjoy it for once.

I didn't know what to do with my hands during the interviews.
#795 (now with party power) - Rich W.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:08 am
Richbot wrote:I didn't know what to do with my hands during the interviews.

Now you just need that Wonder Bread sticker on your visor!

Looks like it was a good time. I was trying my best to follow from home. Maybe will make the trek there myself in the near future.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Return to General Discussions