Anyone run NASA

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:57 am
I am wanting to get more track time because some of the SCCA weekends have conflicts and making hauls over 4 hours is not practical due to work. NASA runs at a several of the tracks in Texas that we run at and some of the race weekends would work well with my schedule. Has anyone run their Gen3 in NASA and if so what class does the Gen3 fit in.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 pm
I'm not aware of a head-to-head racing class suitable for SRF3 (excluding the 25 Hours as an ESR), but I have run the Time Trials class when I ran a Gen2 (in TTB, as I recall). Looks like a Gen3 may fit in TT-3 class based on power-to-weigth ratio, assuming 1560 weight and 145hp (max), but I'd suggest checking directly with NASA. I did find an entry in their TT DB for a Gen3 (see https://airtable.com/shrtuIZcugofvmCJZ/ ... locks=hide
)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:54 pm
I know some folks ran Gen2 in Texas with them a few years back. I'm pretty sure there's still a class to fit in. If the race results from MSRH are any indication, they only run two race groups so you'll have some company no matter what!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm
I too did Time Trials in my Gen 2. I traded instruction for free track time.

I would hesitate to race door to door with NASA, due to the less skilled workers and the mixed class of cars.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35 pm
I’ve run several NASA events at Road Atlanta I’m the past. My goals were never to “race” but more to test. The Gen3 is legal in one of their classes just don’t remember which one.
The group includes the “bandelaro” style oval cars made to run road courses. These have real bumpers and they are not scared to use them. So use caution. And make sure it’s valuable track time.
For me it was not. The short sessions coupled with the slower cars and drivers that apparently don’t worry about mirrors were too much and I stopped going.
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 pm
I'm guessing it varies alot by region. I've heard in TX they are pretty safety-conscious but that was a few years ago.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:59 pm
NASA scares me.

I pretty much vowed to not work their events anymore. In AZ when I was helping my friend who was doing track day, I actually had to jump the fence and take the flag out of the hand of the "worker,".....he was clueless as what to do. Mind you the car went upside down and was still on track. I also had to bail out of a station at an event here in midwest after calling a driver in several times for going off track during a track day session. He later ended up in my station.

Each area is different but I would be wary about what type of cars they put you with too.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm
I have not run NASA - but have done a number of "track days" as test and tune opportunities. Maybe its my region, but the track owners/operators I have found to be very "open" - they admonish no racing, but run a safe, fun option to wheel-to-wheel. Can't compare to any of the other "organized events", I just go to the tracks on open track days.

I've found the seat time can be often well expanded due to experience. The competition license carries some weight. I have found they often open all "groups" to you. More track time and a chance to meet and encourage folks to move up.

The seat time is better than a weekend of AX - and when you factor in travel/over nite costs for both -- I'm only going AX infrequently now. And naturally a few SARRC missions in SEDiv, before I get refocused on the big car (Corvette/SPO), and move from my fun "Little-Lolita" to "Elvira."

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm
Track days can be great as test and tune for trying setups, but I find I have to really focus on doing quality work or it just becomes empty miles of lapping. Set goals for your sessions, be organized about what you're hoping to learn. Best if you can get a few like-minded fast spec racer friends to work with.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:08 pm
We did get a group together several years ago and ran at Eagles Canyon with NASA. it was a little...different. Very accommodating people, "as long as you get 10 cars you can run in your own group." Sort of, as we were a split start in a group of 3....yes, a triple split start! Which worked, but realize that the races were short - like 6-7 laps or about 15 minutes. Very little interaction with the other 2 groups during those short races, fortunately.
Next

Return to General Discussions